cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

Here is my take on this. Now granted, this is all IMO, but first off, the original idea behind the Zync was to create a platinum customer 15 years in the making. If you create a loyal customer at age 22, they will be loyal at 30, 40, and so on and so forth.

Next, I was just approved for Zync, and my scores are just shy of 700, I'm 21. While I would not say that when I go to use this card, that I will expect people to look at me and think that I'm super well off. Instead, I hope that when they see the card, they think, wow, he is responsible with his finances and probably has a few extra bucks to spend.

Also, I think theres a huge difference between going to a store and handing over a sparkly Zync as opposed to handing over a crusty old First Premier.

While I am finishing up my bachelors, I am the front office manager at a moderately small business traveler hotel outside of Cleveland.  This means that everything "front desk" falls on my shoulders. Specifically, customer service. I have taught all of my front desk representatives to profile based on CC, and it isn't just limited to AMEX. I tell them to treat the Chase Sapphires, Citi Platinum Selects, Amex Platinums, and all of the other "world class" cards with world class service. That means discounts, free upgrades, and anything else they can think of. I do this because just as those customers are loyal to their $175+ AF amex, they will be loyal to my hotel again in the future.

It IS a status symbol.

Message 31 of 87
Ms-Kato
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my take on this. Now granted, this is all IMO, but first off, the original idea behind the Zync was to create a platinum customer 15 years in the making. If you create a loyal customer at age 22, they will be loyal at 30, 40, and so on and so forth.

Next, I was just approved for Zync, and my scores are just shy of 700, I'm 21. While I would not say that when I go to use this card, that I will expect people to look at me and think that I'm super well off. Instead, I hope that when they see the card, they think, wow, he is responsible with his finances and probably has a few extra bucks to spend.

Also, I think theres a huge difference between going to a store and handing over a sparkly Zync as opposed to handing over a crusty old First Premier.

While I am finishing up my bachelors, I am the front office manager at a moderately small business traveler hotel outside of Cleveland.  This means that everything "front desk" falls on my shoulders. Specifically, customer service. I have taught all of my front desk representatives to profile based on CC, and it isn't just limited to AMEX. I tell them to treat the Chase Sapphires, Citi Platinum Selects, Amex Platinums, and all of the other "world class" cards with world class service. That means discounts, free upgrades, and anything else they can think of. I do this because just as those customers are loyal to their $175+ AF amex, they will be loyal to my hotel again in the future.

It IS a status symbol.

You been very helpful on these forums and I appreciated all your help .

But Not for nothing...What hotel is this you speak of ?

Because I will steer clear of it ..Everyone deserves top notch service..That's what is wrong with this world today...we

praise the wrong things in life ..sorry...that's how I feel...and I been there and back $ wise and once had an AMEX card

when I was flying high !

There are more people with normal everyday cards than these top notch cards..Remember that .

Message 32 of 87
drkaje
Senior Contributor

A piece of plastic doesn't tell you a darn thing about the person presenting it.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that are willing and able to pay $159-179 per night several times per month. It sounds horrible, but its not like everyone else gets treated like a third world citizen. Frequent travelers, whether they pull up an a shiny porsche or a broken down cutlass supreme will end up getting special treatment. I ensure that everyone gets fantastic service, but in the spirit of solid revenue streams, a person who has more money i.e. carries a world class card, is essential to continued growth, so I make sure to go above and beyond for those customers.

Message 34 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

A piece of plastic doesn't tell you a darn thing about the person presenting it.

You're right, but my system works. I have never had to deal with a credit card declining on someone who pulls out a chase sapphire. The ones who pull out their walmart money card, i do.

Message 35 of 87
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It IS a status symbol.

Citi Platinum Select cards are one of the easiest products to obtain from Citi, they also issue these to college students with limits as low as $200 and the college edition has no distinguishing factors. You should instead tell your staff to reward the Citi ThankYou Premier and Prestige World MasterCards and the Citi WorldElite MasterCard. Same with AmEx Platinum, there is no difference between a Platinum Delta SkyMiles and a Gold Delta SkyMiles. The only platinum that means something is The Platinum Card from American Express. I'm also 21 and admit when I use my Platinum Card, I get a double take Smiley Wink

Message 36 of 87
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

You're right, but my system works. I have never had to deal with a credit card declining on someone who pulls out a chase sapphire. The ones who pull out their walmart money card, i do.

I had a gold card for years and yes, people do treat you a little differently. I'd get one again but don't travel much.

FWIW, there isn't much the SPG people will not do to help if a trip goes wrong. One of their reps actually saved a vacation.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 37 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was throwing out examples, but you got my drift at least. $450 is too steep of a AF for me to swallow right now. I don't know if I'd be willing to pay that just to have the card...

Message 38 of 87
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was throwing out examples, but you got my drift at least. $450 is too steep of a AF for me to swallow right now. I don't know if I'd be willing to pay that just to have the card...

No way...I'd be perfectly happy with a good prime card that pays me rewards for using it with no AF Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 39 of 87
beb86
Valued Contributor

I had an AMEX blue when I was 18 and dumb.... why the would give a cc with a 3k limit to an 18 year old who knows ...if I knew then half of what I know now I would be flying high

Message 40 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.