cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

Only $1.23 a day for the royal treatment! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 87
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Only $1.23 a day for the royal treatment! Smiley Happy

But....  That's almost 1/4 cup of coffee!

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 42 of 87
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

So, mrstew, I am using my BCP at a hotel for the first time next week -- are they going to uncork the champagne for me?

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 43 of 87
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

I keep on getting club offers in the mail from them every week, I no longer think that they are the top company anymore.

Message 44 of 87
Ms-Kato
Contributor

@SevenNEW wrote:

So, mrstew, I am using my BCP at a hotel for the first time next week -- are they going to uncork the champagne for me?

Extra slice of toast for breakfast and extra chocolate under your pillow with a bigger towel and

a wider smile at the start and end of your stay.

You will feel like a King and now that you feel like a King

you wil start to spend more like a King.....

That's why they give you the bigger towel ..extra chocolate and toast along with

the extra wide warm smiles to Get You To Spend More $$$ !

Message 45 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bluerain wrote:

@SevenNEW wrote:

Extra slice of toast for breakfast and extra chocolate under your pillow with a bigger towel and

a wider smile at the start and end of your stay.

You will feel like a King and now that you feel like a King

you wil start to spend more like a King.....

That's why they give you the bigger towel ..extra chocolate and toast along with

the extra wide warm smiles to Get You To Spend More $$$ !

Funny. If it were my hotel, and you were a first time guest, and were not a transient (would have a legitimate reason and likelihood to return) then, I would probably throw you a free upgrade. Thats just me though. Then again, It isnt only the card you present. Its a whole slew of factors that would make me decide whether or not to suck up extra. But yes, when it comes down to it, the ultimate reason why I would do this would be to ultimately get you to spend more. This isn't isolated to my business practices though. Tons of businesses will do things like that in hopes that you will spend more money in the future.

Message 46 of 87
beb86
Valued Contributor

I would hate to see what happened if I whipped out my debit card or worse my capital one

Message 47 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beb86 wrote:

I would hate to see what happened if I whipped out my debit card or worse my capital one

Probably nothing out of the ordinary. Now, if you tried to use a prepaid walmart money card, i make no promises, JK!. I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. All that I am saying is that someone who presents themselves as financially stable, who has the available resources, and is likely to return, will get VIP service (i.e. free upgrade, or a discount, or maybe a comped night if there are more than 5 in a row). That could mean driving a more expensive car, or having an MD after your last name, or paying with an Amex Platinum, or simply making it clear that you will be returning semi frequently. This does not mean that he who checks in with their debit card will get treated like they have the plague.

My hotel (at this point I will not disclose brand or location because of the disparaging comments) regularly ranks in the top 10% nationally in terms of customer surveys and secret shops. And not everyone who checks in there pays with a platinum amex, I get plenty of debit card customers, and they seem to be perfectly satisfied as well.

Message 48 of 87
beb86
Valued Contributor

being in the customer service business as well I see where you are coming from

Message 49 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

Probably nothing out of the ordinary. Now, if you tried to use a prepaid walmart money card, i make no promises, JK!. I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. All that I am saying is that someone who presents themselves as financially stable, who has the available resources, and is likely to return, will get VIP service (i.e. free upgrade, or a discount, or maybe a comped night if there are more than 5 in a row). That could mean driving a more expensive car, or having an MD after your last name, or paying with an Amex Platinum, or simply making it clear that you will be returning semi frequently. This does not mean that he who checks in with their debit card will get treated like they have the plague.

My hotel (at this point I will not disclose brand or location because of the disparaging comments) regularly ranks in the top 10% nationally in terms of customer surveys and secret shops. And not everyone who checks in there pays with a platinum amex, I get plenty of debit card customers, and they seem to be perfectly satisfied as well.

I think there is some naivety in this thread. Not all customers are treated the same way by businesses. If you roll up to a hotel in vegas in your porshe wearing your gucci suit and charge your room on your centurion card...you can plan on a little more than a mint on your pillow.

Message 50 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.