cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

WOW you sure started a thread here !!!!

I will add my 2 cents !

AMEX is prestiege, you have to pay the balance at the end of the month so i feel lenders see that as he can handle his / her credit. i know they have added credit cards lately but they have been known for charge cards.

ill be new to the backdating game soon and if it works out for me that a huge bennifit.

Also customer service. i remember onetime i was stranded at a airport and i needed to get a ticket, i was at my limit. i called the sub-prime credit card company i had at the time, i think it was 1st Premier and they were so reluctant to help me. finally after about a hour they pushed through the charge. i received a ton of over limit, cash advance fees it was insane.

With AMEX that wouldnt happen.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 51 of 87
dnice77
Regular Contributor

i feel you speak the truth, anyone that works in retail plays that game.

i remember one time i was in NYC, during the Puerto Rican Day parade, the parade goes right by Gucci and i wanted some shoes. i try to pull the door open and its locked, the dick salesman says the bathrooms are not for public use. i was dressed in basketball shorts and a sweatshirt i think. when i yelled at him and put my Plat card on his door he was all red faced and apoligetic, and offered me the world. his manager chased me down the street and appoligized and gave me a celebrity discount card. i would not shop at that store any more.

Moral of the story is, everyone discriminates as unfortunate as it is it happens. i was renting a car yesterday (CDW another AMEX Bennifit) and i saw a sign that said if you use your debit card for the rental they will run a credit report http://hertzhelp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1007 im my opinion thats favortisim as well.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Message 52 of 87
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Hotel wise if you have The Platinum Card you already get VIP treatment via Fine Hotels & Resorts program and if you truly have $$$, you would more than likely already be booking a AAA 5 Diamond hotel and staying in a top room. I remember booking via FHR for the Bellagio, got picked up at the airport by a Benz, VIP check-in and a Bellagio Suite with a lakeview room. Also welcome gifts and very attentative service Smiley Wink Again these amentities and treatments are exclusive for The Platinum/Centurion Card and not other American Express issued card products. You're not going to get the above at the Bellagio with a Zync or Blue unless you pay for it.

Message 53 of 87
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

i remember one time i was in NYC, during the Puerto Rican Day parade, the parade goes right by Gucci and i wanted some shoes. i try to pull the door open and its locked, the dick salesman says the bathrooms are not for public use. i was dressed in basketball shorts and a sweatshirt i think. when i yelled at him and put my Plat card on his door he was all red faced and apoligetic, and offered me the world. his manager chased me down the street and appoligized and gave me a celebrity discount card. i would not shop at that store any more.

That shopping scene in "Pretty Woman" comes to mind.

BIG mistake..big...HUGE...I have to go shopping now.

Stores do not love people...they love credit cards...PERIOD.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 54 of 87
birjest
Frequent Contributor

DRATS!!!! not even for Zync, Hogwash, anarchy, anarchy I say!!!!

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 55 of 87
Smug
Established Contributor

My step brother is a actor and a household name, he uses his blue Amex for everything, he could get the black in a second, yet uses the blue.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 56 of 87
dude11
Regular Contributor

If you are worried about what card you carry then you have some issues. Amex may have great customer service and perks but at the end of the day they are still a credit card lender just like the rest. Unless you spend enough money to get your money's worth in perks or rewards then yeah some Amex charge cards are worth having. Don't think they are worth forking out a few hundred for the annual fee if you don't get it back in rewards and then some just to say I have a Amex "Platinum" or "Gold" or whatever.

At lot a people don't even know what the difference may be from one another. Use whatever card best works for you and not what the name is on the front of the card.

Just my opinion.

Message 57 of 87
CS800
Super Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Only $1.23 a day for the royal treatment! Smiley Happy

But....  That's almost 1/4 cup of coffee!

At dunkins prob not starbucks. At SB that would be 1/10th of the cup Smiley Happy

Message 58 of 87
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I guess I'm going to have to look into AMEX after all because the last time I rolled up to the Motel 6 in Vegas in my 82 Chevy and gave them my Hooters card, I just didn't feel the LOVE!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 59 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you feel the bedbugs? Smiley Very Happy

Message 60 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.