cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

@HiLine wrote:

@dnice77 wrote:

i feel you speak the truth, anyone that works in retail plays that game.

i remember one time i was in NYC, during the Puerto Rican Day parade, the parade goes right by Gucci and i wanted some shoes. i try to pull the door open and its locked, the dick salesman says the bathrooms are not for public use. i was dressed in basketball shorts and a sweatshirt i think. when i yelled at him and put my Plat card on his door he was all red faced and apoligetic, and offered me the world. his manager chased me down the street and appoligized and gave me a celebrity discount card. i would not shop at that store any more.

Moral of the story is, everyone discriminates as unfortunate as it is it happens. i was renting a car yesterday (CDW another AMEX Bennifit) and i saw a sign that said if you use your debit card for the rental they will run a credit report http://hertzhelp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1007 im my opinion thats favortisim as well.

In your car rental story, I think technically the company needs to run a credit check on everybody, but waives the check for those who show signs of having good credit, such as using a decent credit card since obviously someone who doesn't know how to deal with debts wouldn't be using one. 

Your first story though, is sad ...

That's the main reason I now have CCs. Some car rentals won't take a debit card without a song and dance. Hotels too sometimes. It was such a PITA that I started looking into CCs having not had any (just let them drop off from non-use)  for 10 years.

That said, car rentals take any credit card without running credit checks though they still run your DL but not for a credit check per se.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 71 of 87
RonDawg
Contributor

@Smug wrote:
The warranty and extra perks pizza on the 26th! Lol

yeah and the way the gold card sparkles in my wallet lol   .... I do have to say that the blue is the most interesting looking card I have seen. You can see through the card. Smiley Wink

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 72 of 87
RonDawg
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you feel the bedbugs? Smiley Very Happy

now that had me laughing.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
Message 73 of 87
RonDawg
Contributor

@aamex wrote:

http://www.jdpower.com/Finance/ratings/credit-card-ratings/

I think this just about sums it up.

At the time I checked that thread it said "Oops....This page is in the shop" lol

Message 74 of 87
LOC
Contributor

Here is an updated link :http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/finance/ratings/909201366/2012-Credit+Card+Satisfaction+Stud...

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 696
Goal Score: 850

Message 75 of 87
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@LOC wrote:

Here is an updated link :http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/finance/ratings/909201366/2012-Credit+Card+Satisfaction+Stud...

Thanks, interesting

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 76 of 87
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

As far as the debit card for rental cars, I think that it is up to the local branch whether they will run your credit if you use a debit card.  They rental car companies have a policy to do so, but it is up to the branch to do so.

Even with that said, I still wouldn't use to debit card to rent a car much less let some run my CR just for an 8 hr use of a rental car.

Message 77 of 87
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

And I don't think they are a status symbol.  I actually think thats a rather silly way to think.

Amex has just been around so long maybe ppl remember what they use to be and still hold them to that light.  Now Amex is an every day kind of company that any exclusivity is now non existent.  Walmart Bluebird anyone?

Amex has evolve many times throughout their history.  Didn't they start out as a mail carrier/wire carrier?  Then Travel with worldwide travel offices and currency changing with mail forwarding offices (instead of having mail forwarded to the hotel you were staying at you could have mail forwarded to the local Amex Office).

They are an old company with many faces.   Status symbol?  No.  Maybe once upon a time.  But not anymore.

Message 78 of 87
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

And I don't think they are a status symbol.  I actually think thats a rather silly way to think.

Amex has just been around so long maybe ppl remember what they use to be and still hold them to that light.  Now Amex is an every day kind of company that any exclusivity is now non existent.  Walmart Bluebird anyone?

Amex has evolve many times throughout their history.  Didn't they start out as a mail carrier/wire carrier?  Then Travel with worldwide travel offices and currency changing with mail forwarding offices (instead of having mail forwarded to the hotel you were staying at you could have mail forwarded to the local Amex Office).

They are an old company with many faces.   Status symbol?  No.  Maybe once upon a time.  But not anymore.

Status is a vague, and subjective term kind of like "class" which Brits used to be obsessed about.  The real power Amex has is that people that use them spend more than those with Visa/MC.  A lot more.  Amex markets this, demands and gets a higher merchant fee, and markets this fact extensively to merchants.

Amex charge cards do carry clout even though they aren't any harder, and perhaps easier, to get than run of the mill rewards cards. But then merchants don't care about your credit score. They care how much they anticipate you will spend. Some translate that as "status."  I've always found the fascination with status rather odd. Reminds me of chickens and the proverbial pecking order they establish.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 79 of 87
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Only $1.23 a day for the royal treatment! Smiley Happy

LMAO! Too funny!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 80 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.