cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is American Express so sought after?

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is American Express so sought after?

@getmycreditright wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Only $1.23 a day for the royal treatment! Smiley Happy

LMAO! Too funny!

And every four years you get a 1¢ discount on that!

Message 81 of 87
alakazam
New Contributor

It's just the perks they offer and the discounts merchants give are awesome. I am so sad I don't have mine yet. For example, AMEX holders were given a 30% discount for this ThinkPad yesterday, when Black Friday discount was 20%. On a $1400 pricetag that brings it down under $1000. The 20% didn't do that.

Not to mention all the goodies the platinum provides. I want to get one in Q1 2013 when I have a 6 month clear app and a bump in my score.

Message 82 of 87
HiLine
Blogger

@alakazam wrote:

It's just the perks they offer and the discounts merchants give are awesome. I am so sad I don't have mine yet. For example, AMEX holders were given a 30% discount for this ThinkPad yesterday, when Black Friday discount was 20%. On a $1400 pricetag that brings it down under $1000. The 20% didn't do that.

Not to mention all the goodies the platinum provides. I want to get one in Q1 2013 when I have a 6 month clear app and a bump in my score.

Do you have a link to this Thinkpad promotion? Just out of curiosity...

Message 83 of 87
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Yeah Amex is great.  Im at over $450 cash back just  in sync credits olone this year.  That is on top of my BCP rewards.  Just recently I got $400 in Bestbut gift cards for $200. 

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 84 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ms-Kato wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my take on this. Now granted, this is all IMO, but first off, the original idea behind the Zync was to create a platinum customer 15 years in the making. If you create a loyal customer at age 22, they will be loyal at 30, 40, and so on and so forth.

Next, I was just approved for Zync, and my scores are just shy of 700, I'm 21. While I would not say that when I go to use this card, that I will expect people to look at me and think that I'm super well off. Instead, I hope that when they see the card, they think, wow, he is responsible with his finances and probably has a few extra bucks to spend.

Also, I think theres a huge difference between going to a store and handing over a sparkly Zync as opposed to handing over a crusty old First Premier.

While I am finishing up my bachelors, I am the front office manager at a moderately small business traveler hotel outside of Cleveland.  This means that everything "front desk" falls on my shoulders. Specifically, customer service. I have taught all of my front desk representatives to profile based on CC, and it isn't just limited to AMEX. I tell them to treat the Chase Sapphires, Citi Platinum Selects, Amex Platinums, and all of the other "world class" cards with world class service. That means discounts, free upgrades, and anything else they can think of. I do this because just as those customers are loyal to their $175+ AF amex, they will be loyal to my hotel again in the future.

It IS a status symbol.

You been very helpful on these forums and I appreciated all your help .

But Not for nothing...What hotel is this you speak of ?

Because I will steer clear of it ..Everyone deserves top notch service..That's what is wrong with this world today...we

praise the wrong things in life ..sorry...that's how I feel...and I been there and back $ wise and once had an AMEX card

when I was flying high !

There are more people with normal everyday cards than these top notch cards..Remember that .

I was wondering the same thing. It's one thing to be high end and offer a luxurious experience to those who can afford it, but to profile based on a CC at some 3 star below hotel or any establishment is ridiculous b/c Amex or high status card or not, all of your customers were able to pay for your service so you should be trying to havee them all become loyal customers.

Message 85 of 87
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ms-Kato wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my take on this. Now granted, this is all IMO, but first off, the original idea behind the Zync was to create a platinum customer 15 years in the making. If you create a loyal customer at age 22, they will be loyal at 30, 40, and so on and so forth.

Next, I was just approved for Zync, and my scores are just shy of 700, I'm 21. While I would not say that when I go to use this card, that I will expect people to look at me and think that I'm super well off. Instead, I hope that when they see the card, they think, wow, he is responsible with his finances and probably has a few extra bucks to spend.

Also, I think theres a huge difference between going to a store and handing over a sparkly Zync as opposed to handing over a crusty old First Premier.

While I am finishing up my bachelors, I am the front office manager at a moderately small business traveler hotel outside of Cleveland.  This means that everything "front desk" falls on my shoulders. Specifically, customer service. I have taught all of my front desk representatives to profile based on CC, and it isn't just limited to AMEX. I tell them to treat the Chase Sapphires, Citi Platinum Selects, Amex Platinums, and all of the other "world class" cards with world class service. That means discounts, free upgrades, and anything else they can think of. I do this because just as those customers are loyal to their $175+ AF amex, they will be loyal to my hotel again in the future.

It IS a status symbol.

You been very helpful on these forums and I appreciated all your help .

But Not for nothing...What hotel is this you speak of ?

Because I will steer clear of it ..Everyone deserves top notch service..That's what is wrong with this world today...we

praise the wrong things in life ..sorry...that's how I feel...and I been there and back $ wise and once had an AMEX card

when I was flying high !

There are more people with normal everyday cards than these top notch cards..Remember that .

I was wondering the same thing. It's one thing to be high end and offer a luxurious experience to those who can afford it, but to profile based on a CC at some 3 star below hotel or any establishment is ridiculous b/c Amex or high status card or not, all of your customers were able to pay for your service so you should be trying to havee them all become loyal customers.

I agree with this. The way that I see it, when I'm a customer at your establishment, you should treat me as YOUR customer -- not Amex's, or Chase's or any other financial institution. I'm the one paying for your services or products; the card I'm using is simply a method of tendering payment. Since I'm the one paying, I'm entitled to the same level of treatment and quality of service as any other paying customer. Also, I HAVE been a good, repeat customer of various establishments even when I was paying with my crappy First Premier card. Just because I now have a nice, shiny Amex in my wallet does not make me a better customer than I was previously.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 86 of 87
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Screw the free upgradeI pay cash.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 87 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.