Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Amex percieved "the best"?

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Re: Why is Amex percieved "the best"?

@enxinas wrote:

When I first moved here in the US about 6 years ago, I always look into Amex as the "best" card to get even though I don't know anything about CCs. Fast forward into today, I know some of the reasons are the 3x CLI, purchase protection, and extended warranty.  But why do regular (peeps who do not know this forum/or credit in general) people percieved Amex as great?

It's a perception of success..pull up to valet in your Benz, check your Rolex to make sure you're on time for your reservation, pay for your expensive meal with your AMEX..it's all an image thing for those who buy into it.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 21 of 28
Arago
New Contributor

Amex is considered the best because charge cards tend to be used by people who have high net worth.  You don't need revolving credit because you have large amounts of cash, so you use a charge card instead and receive bonus points that often exceed the annual fee.  Not many other issuers have this kind of customer.

Message 22 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is Amex percieved "the best" card to get?

@HiLine wrote:

Lol just teasing you 

Seriously speaking, Amex used to easily beat other credit card issuers because of their terrific customer service and their tendency to side with consumers in transaction disputes. Membership with Amex used to cost a boatload of money, and therefore membership was considered some sort of privilege. In addition, they had the best reward programs for high-spenders. 

Things have changed lately; Amex is now offering fee-free cards that are associated with lower customer service quality and with rewards that would benefit even the lower spenders. They are becoming more mainstream and less exclusive. Still, they favor customers in transaction disputes, and the rewards are often quite competitive. Add to that the SP CLI policy, and the collection of charge cards that make membership a lot easier to obtain, and there you have Amex as a top credit card issuer. 

Most people in the general public don't know much about CC products or specific rewards. Amex does however have a reputational advantage which they have built up over decades, and which they're increasingly reliant on as their approval standards have decreased in recent times. However it takes a long time to change perceptions and public opinion about many things, and this is no exception.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 23 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Lol just teasing you 

Seriously speaking, Amex used to easily beat other credit card issuers because of their terrific customer service and their tendency to side with consumers in transaction disputes. Membership with Amex used to cost a boatload of money, and therefore membership was considered some sort of privilege. In addition, they had the best reward programs for high-spenders. 

Things have changed lately; Amex is now offering fee-free cards that are associated with lower customer service quality and with rewards that would benefit even the lower spenders. They are becoming more mainstream and less exclusive. Still, they favor customers in transaction disputes, and the rewards are often quite competitive. Add to that the SP CLI policy, and the collection of charge cards that make membership a lot easier to obtain, and there you have Amex as a top credit card issuer. 

Most people in the general public don't know much about CC products or specific rewards. Amex does however have a reputational advantage which they have built up over decades, and which they're increasingly reliant on as their approval standards have decreased in recent times. However it takes a long time to change perceptions and public opinion about many things, and this is no exception.

I think it'll be a long time likely measured in decades, if ever, in changing.  Most people don't care.

I only started really noticing recently, but virtually every restaurant which I consider to be of quality (PF Changs equivalent and up) brings the check in an Amex branded folder, and it's beneath that tier too come to think of it.   It's going to take an awfully long while to displace Amex while that's still in effect I suspect.

        
Message 24 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I think it'll be a long time likely measured in decades, if ever, in changing.  Most people don't care.

I only started really noticing recently, but virtually every restaurant which I consider to be of quality (PF Changs equivalent and up) brings the check in an Amex branded folder, and it's beneath that tier too come to think of it.   It's going to take an awfully long while to displace Amex while that's still in effect I suspect.

In the States, I don't see this changing regarding the Amex's perceived "prestige."

In the US, Amex acceptance is inescapable for anyone who has spent time at fine restaurants, posh boutiques and fine hotels.  It isn't until recently that Neiman Marcus has accepted Visa or MC.  Some in the hotel/fine dining industries will assume Amex cardmembers will tip more and will often make an extra effort for those whom they know use an Amex.  

Truth is (rightly or wrongly) that in many circles, an Amex card just has certain "je ne sais quoi" other cards lack.

Message 25 of 28
bribro
Valued Contributor

Because great marketing and brand management.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 26 of 28
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@Arago wrote:

Amex is considered the best because charge cards tend to be used by people who have high net worth.  You don't need revolving credit because you have large amounts of cash, so you use a charge card instead and receive bonus points that often exceed the annual fee.  Not many other issuers have this kind of customer.

In fact, Amex racked in the most charges (avg per customer) last year when compared to Visa and MC. I read it somewhere. Someone help me find that article.

Message 27 of 28
Cageym
Established Contributor

Amex does have good customer service, that's why it's consistently ranked #1 year after year. But it's tiered, like a lot of other companies. So the higher end card you have the better service you'll get, it just makes sense. If you have more than one Amex look at the phone number on the back, they are all different. I have never had any problem with their service but I have noticed that if I call about my BCE I get different service than if I call about my Delta Gold. And Platinum is even better.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.