Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Cap One so stingy?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is Cap One so stingy?

ways2go wrote: It took me over a year to go from a 1300 to a 3300 limit on my Cap One Platinum,  I wish I could turn it into a QS though.

Why not?  Have you tried the chat people?  They seem ready and willing to PC from Plat to QS.  If they can't do it, call the generic app line and ask to be transferred to the "card swap" department (secret code).

Message 21 of 25
RU_Rah_Rah

Ive worked with one of their retail bank execs in the past who originally came from the CC side and he said they believe because of their modeling and standards they have cleaned up in an area many  cc companies stay away from. They also feel good that they are helping a lot of people rebuild their credit at the same time. He admits they wouldn't do it unless it was lucrative but he said they are more willing to take smaller risks with credit lines than most companies but also are more conservative on the other end. He actually said through their research and modeling that their "high risk" base actually has a better repayment rate than the big name banks and supposedly stronger credit worthy customers.

Message 22 of 25
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@RU_Rah_Rah wrote:

He actually said through their research and modeling that their "high risk" base actually has a better repayment rate than the big name banks and supposedly stronger credit worthy customers.

It makes sense that those that are rebuilding would be more aware of their credit.  That doesn't explain the huge missed oportunity of taking future advantage of the realtionship they have already invested in building.  I will be closing my Crapital One cards before the ridiculous AFs hit again and to be honest I really hate to have to do it.  1.5% is a good deal and I have already invested a great deal of time and effort into the cards. 

The desire to build up a good borrower and then pass them off to another company makes no sense whatsoever IMO  Why not continue to nurture the mutually beneficial relationship instead?

Message 23 of 25
p-
Valued Contributor

wacdenney wrote: I will be closing my Crapital One cards before the ridiculous AFs hit again and to be honest I really hate to have to do it.  1.5% is a good deal and I have already invested a great deal of time and effort into the cards. 

The desire to build up a good borrower and then pass them off to another company makes no sense whatsoever IMO  Why not continue to nurture the mutually beneficial relationship instead?

Capital one is like two different companies.  If you get a sub-prime card like the Platinum Rebuilder, Quicksilver One, or other Annual Fee cards, you have a cap on your limit.  This is part of what Cap1 does to mitigate the risk of lending to people with questionable credit.  Not everyone is rebuilding, and people do default.  

Once you are done rebuilding and qualify for better cards, if you were to app again you would get prime cards with higher limits.

The trick is to get them to Product Change you to a higher tier card when your file improves.  They will do it.  In fact, it doesn't always take a call to the execs.  On one card I had the AF removed, and a product change from plat to Quicksilver (not QS1), and on the other a PC from the platinum Rebuilder to a Green Cash, and later to a Quicksilver World Card.  Once I got out of their sub-prime lines, the limit increases came every six months on my request.

I'm stoked to have my oldest card still active.  Not having to replace it means a benefit to my AAOA, and no closed crappy sub-prime card staining my report in a manual review.

Call and ask them to do a "Card Swap" to something without an AF, or waive the AF.

Good luck.

Message 24 of 25
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

My MC with them (converted from the green card to Quicksilver). Still sits at $5K after 4 years and always fail on the CLI.

I have no idea. I had a $1750 CL for 3 years and they ended up bumping it to $3000 after I made a stink with EO. I seriously had to justify it though when there were NO derogs on my CR. I just ended up closing it because I do a lot of traveling for work and 1.5 days of travel would put me at about 50% UTL

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.