Shogun

Re: Why is Capital One looked down upon?

The DW has a Cap1 card and has never had a problem with them.  She's only gotten 1 CLI, but that's better than none.  As far as customer service and the use of card, it's been a good experience with them.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Frequent Contributor
IcEWoLF

mxp114 wrote:

I do think some people unfairly bash them, some openly admit to having zero usage but then are angry that a request to waive the AF was declined or how the reps didn't make a save attempt. If you bring no business, you are not worth saving or waiving a fee for.

100% agree with this statement. 

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Chase Sapphire Preferred: 7K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5.7K
MERRILL+® Visa Signature®: 9K | Bank of America Accelerated Cash Rewards American Express Card: 1K
BankAmericard Privileges® with Cash Rewards: 7K
Discover IT: 5K | Discover Chrome 3.5K | Costco AMEX: 10.7K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi ThankYou Preferred World Mastercard 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard 5K | Citi Double Cash 3.5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K
Super Contributor
enharu

Think of it this way.

Cap1's main clientele are credit rebuilders or just people with bad credit overall. They have expanded to prime market, but what they are still mostly known for are the subprime cards.

Think of this analogy. Capitalone is like the equivalent of Toyota cars. You get them not for the fancy shrills, features or horsepower. You get a Toyota simply because its cheap, and it serves its purpose well for what it costs. Prime cards on the other hand are like BMW and Mercedes. You get them for the prestige, the little nice luxuries and horsepower. And in a similar fashion to how cap1 is expanding to the prime market, Toyota has been doing that as well through their Lexus division.

If you compare a Toyota to a Mercedes, or even their own lexus, obviously the Toyota isn't going to look, feel and drive as good.

I'm not saying Toyota are terrible cars, or that capitalone is a terrible bank by any means. They are both good companies with good products. They just serve a different market segment, and that's really just it. There are lots of wealthy people who do not want to spend a lot on cars, just like how there are wealthy people who prefer a no shrill no AF card as well.

I know its not the best analogy out there to be using cars as an example for cards, but its the best I can think of.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Frequent Contributor
Networth

Alec Baldwin of course....sorry I couldn't help myself.

But in reality I thought they were not considered "prime".

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - BankAmericard Travel Rewards - Walmart - Macy's

Walmart TU 823 (Most Recent) EX 807 EQ 810
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
improvingmycredit

mxp114 wrote:

I do think some people unfairly bash them, some openly admit to having zero usage but then are angry that a request to waive the AF was declined or how the reps didn't make a save attempt. If you bring no business, you are not worth saving or waiving a fee for.

+2

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

Regular Contributor
Eschaton

I only have one card with Cap1, and I am not really fond of them either. I will probably still keep one card from them though at all times, simply because they offer something which I find rare in other cards - no foreign transaction fee for a card that has no AF.

Other than that, I think other cards tend to be more beneficial for my purposes.

Capital One Journey (12/2010) | Chase Freedom (03/2012) | American Express Zync (03/2012)

Gardening since 03/2012
Experian score: 752 (6/2014)
Established Contributor
JonStur

I started with an average credit No Hassles card ( with the 2% 2% 1%  rewards) that has graduated to a no fee prime. So anything is possible if your credit profile supports it...

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Senior Contributor
Open123

IcEWoLF wrote:

When I think of Capital One, I really don't see much...

Their credit cards don't offer best in class rewards.

This is true.  

However, I do find their new Quicksilver a very good card.  While it's not the *best in class* cashback card, it also lacks the prerequisites of the Fid Amex (2%)/Visa (1.5%), JCB (3%) and PNC (1.75%) cards.  Fidelity requires a brokerage account; JCB's 3% is only offered in CA and HI; and, the PNC has deposit restrictions.  Where I do think the Quicksilver is *best in class* is no redemption threshold.  I'm so sick and tired of the minimum $25 and $50 redemption restriction, which only forces me to spend on the card until hitting the threshold.

Being able to redeem $3.48 just because I feel like it makes this card better than the rest, for my purposes.  

With this new card, I don't understand why Cap One doesn't remove the Venture One rewards card, since who in his right mind would app for it over the Quicksilver?

Frequent Contributor
randeman

Let's face it, when someone is struggling to build or rebuild their credit by working dilligently to follow the rules laid down for us, auto CLIs (and even regular CLIs) give you the feeling that you're being rewarded for doing everything right.  When Chase, BOA, Citi, Amex, etc. are willing to help you out in this respect, Capital One often steadfastly refuses.  Or you have to jump through hoops to get what you want.  It's like Oliver Twist with his bowl humbly asking for more. 

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Senior Contributor
Open123

randeman wrote:

Let's face it, when someone is struggling to build or rebuild their credit by working dilligently to follow the rules laid down for us, 

Well, from my perspective, one shouldn't be rewarded for merely following the terms of a contract in which he agreed.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}