cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Citi Diamond Preferred so sought after?

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Why is Citi Diamond Preferred so sought after?

So I see many people want this card. Other than the aesthetics of the card, the slightly lower interest rate, the concierge service and the intro promo, I don't see much going for this card. If it had rewards, I would understand but it doesn't.

So what gives? What am I missing here??

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is Citi Diamond Preferred so sought after?

My mom has it because she was pre approved. She doesn't know much about card benefits. She just liked her us airways card for miles alot. I'm going to see if I can PC her to the Forwsrd because of the points

She doesn't really like credit though. I'm trying to teach her that she can be rewarded for good credit

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 2 of 15
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

And by the by....it isn't that great IMO

I want the forward so bad. I have the American Airlines

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 3 of 15
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

So I see many people want this card. Other than the aesthetics of the card, the slightly lower interest rate, the concierge service and the intro promo, I don't see much going for this card. If it had rewards, I would understand but it doesn't.

So what gives? What am I missing here??

For me, the primary appeal is the ongoing 0% BT offers that I receive.  As I continue to work on paying down my revolving debt, this card has been invaluable to me.  I now have other rewards cards that are "better," but for me this card has a definite purpose.  Also, Citi was one of the first prime lenders to give me credit when I started rebuilding my card portfolio, and I appreciate that.

And the fact that it is a cool-looking card is also a plus! Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 4 of 15
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I will say....the card does look cool 

i still have my Citi Secured lol....I think that helped me get the AAdvantage

Message 5 of 15
fedxboy
Established Contributor

I don't get why people say it's a cool looking card.   When you see the card online -- sure, it looks nice, but when you get the card in the mail -- it's all faded -- both the Citi and mastercard emblem  aren't as bright.

Other than that, it's a good card for balance transfers and purchases for 18 months at 0%.

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 6 of 15
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

It's on my hit list for fall 2013.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 7 of 15
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

It's on my hit list for fall 2013.

So the point of this thread is why?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Citi constantly offers 0% BT offer on all of its cards, not just Diamond Preferred.

Message 9 of 15
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I don't get it either.  Diamond.  Meh.  I'll pass.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.