Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is GE capital interest so high?

tag
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is GE capital interest so high?

It is so hard to get lenders to provide opportunity when you don't have a lengthy credit history. I was denied Barclay of ALL cards. I'm sure it's because my credit is thin and I have 2 TU inquires in less than 5 mo even though my payment history post divorce of 5 yrs is excellent.
Message 11 of 20
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I was just denied Barclay Arrival today. I'm going to call the credit number Monday. Fingers and TOES are crossed!
Message 12 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Drsgwld wrote:
I looked at the APR and it is nearly 30% WTH??? Is it any better for your CR or FICO than a Cap1 quicksilver1?

No -- it's because the approvals are generally easier and the applicants tend to be more risky.  Note that the APR has no impact on scoring:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Other creditors (non-retail) also assign higher APR's for more risky applicants.  They just tend to have lower ceilings on the APR's.

Message 13 of 20
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I agree, but in my case, even though I make payments in full on my 5th 3rd revolving, my Nearly 3 yr old Student Loan is 100 current, my Cap1 is too young and my 4 yr old DTE is closed and never missed, it's still difficult to build credit.
Message 14 of 20
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

My ex filed had a BK discharged on his business in 08 which is on my file, because we were married nearly 25 yrs I was told if I didn't sign the papers they could come after me. Which makes me furious. There is not much I can do about that.
Message 15 of 20
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I ask him to incorporate. I didn't want the business. If I would have got my own attorney maybe I wouldn't have had to sign!
Message 16 of 20
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

@Drsgwld wrote:
I was looking to apply for TJMxx and in the app process your initially applying for Tjmaxx MC. I looked at the APR and it is nearly 30% WTH??? Is it any better for your CR or FICO than a Cap1 quicksilver1
GE is great for promotional 0% financing to avoid interest.
04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 17 of 20
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

What do you mean by promotional? Or are you talking about 'Prime' lending based on select borrowers?
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I also wondered why it was so high. I just got my first store card through GE and it's at 29% interest rate after the 0% Introduction offer.

Message 19 of 20
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure default is tabulated into the equation.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.