cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is everybody jumping on the Venture Card ?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is everybody jumping on the Venture Card ?!

@random, +1
Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What's so special about it ?! The rewards seem pretty lame compared to QS !

@Anonymous,

Umm..Did you get declined hence this assumption?Smiley Tongue  Just wondering.. If so, then I understand why you think it is lame. For a minute on the other thread, you said you were pre-approved when you checked on their site?

Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the reward is lame.  $400 is pretty awesome...  But I share the sentiments of many.  Not a big fan of Capital One, and even the promise of a high limit isn't worth a triple pull.

Message 13 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous,

Umm..Did you get declined hence this assumption?Smiley Tongue  Just wondering.. If so, then I understand why you think it is lame. For a minute on the other thread, you said you were pre-approved when you checked on their site?

Yeah but I applied for theUS air instead Smiley Very Happy im not willing to use 3 hp's and I really dont need much padding on my util so I didint bother on applying , I don't have a doubt that I would be approve , it's just not for me , when u have such a high Cl it's easy to say " that boat is only 8k" I got a 20k  cl on my venture " next thing you know your on myfico asking to for the first premier recon  number :/  ( mean but true for us itchy finger peeps) 

Message 14 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the First Premier recon line is the same as the suicide hotline

Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous,

Yeah but I applied for theUS air instead Smiley Very Happy im not willing to use 3 hp's and I really dont need much padding on my util so I didint bother on applying , I don't have a doubt that I would be approve , it's just not for me , when u have such a high Cl it's easy to say " that boat is only 8k" I got a 20k  cl on my venture " next thing you know your on myfico asking to for the first premier recon  number :/  ( mean but true for us itchy finger peeps) 

Ha..ha.. Gotcha.  Self control and the will to walk away is MUST in the credit game.  Kudos to you.

Message 16 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think the reward is lame.  $400 is pretty awesome...  But I share the sentiments of many.  Not a big fan of Capital One, and even the promise of a high limit isn't worth a triple pull.

If your monthly spend is the restriction, then yes this is a $400 reward bonus. I view it more like a $200 or actually $133.34 bonus. Why? It takes 2 or 3 HPs to get the card and I can get 2 other bonuses with the free HPs. I could reduce it to 2 HPs, but that involves freezing a report which is a pain and can cause issues with other CC applications. 

For people with low spend, the HPs are less of an issue and the bonus is more important. If you spend $1000 a month, you probably don't care about HPs from a bonus hunting perspective because you can only afford 3-4 sizeable bonuses in a year of spend. When your spend goes higher, however, the spend thresholds are easy but the HPs become a bigger factor. Whether the bonus is worth $133 and some change or $400 to you depends on how you value a HP. For me, my limiting factors for hunting new sign-up bonuses are: 1) Number of new accounts, 2) Number of inquiries, and 3) Time since I last closed the particular card. 1 and 3 are not really relevant here, but number 2 is impacted. Maybe since the other factors are not, I should value the bonus closer to $150 or even $200. But truth be told, I would not sign up for a card based on a $200 bonus unless the non-bonus rewards are better than my existing cards (not the case with Venture).

As many have stated, whether the Venture card is right or wrong for you is a personal decision. If you have CC debt but a good score, the utilization padding might be worth the HP. If you have low CC spend and don't churn cards, the bonus is outstanding. For others, the card does not make sense as outlined above. 

Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the First Premier recon line is the same as the suicide hotline

I swooned over this commentSmiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley Tongue  Can you imagine being on the receiving end of the calls coming in?  That will be something else.

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your monthly spend is the restriction, then yes this is a $400 reward bonus. I view it more like a $200 or actually $133.34 bonus. Why? It takes 2 or 3 HPs to get the card and I can get 2 other bonuses with the free HPs. I could reduce it to 2 HPs, but that involves freezing a report which is a pain and can cause issues with other CC applications. 

For people with low spend, the HPs are less of an issue and the bonus is more important. If you spend $1000 a month, you probably don't care about HPs from a bonus hunting perspective because you can only afford 3-4 sizeable bonuses in a year of spend. When your spend goes higher, however, the spend thresholds are easy but the HPs become a bigger factor. Whether the bonus is worth $133 and some change or $400 to you depends on how you value a HP. For me, my limiting factors for hunting new sign-up bonuses are: 1) Number of new accounts, 2) Number of inquiries, and 3) Time since I last closed the particular card. 1 and 3 are not really relevant here, but number 2 is impacted. Maybe since the other factors are not, I should value the bonus closer to $150 or even $200. But truth be told, I would not sign up for a card based on a $200 bonus unless the non-bonus rewards are better than my existing cards (not the case with Venture).

As many have stated, whether the Venture card is right or wrong for you is a personal decision. If you have CC debt but a good score, the utilization padding might be worth the HP. If you have low CC spend and don't churn cards, the bonus is outstanding. For others, the card does not make sense as outlined above. 

400 dollars is 400 dollars... But like I stated earlier.  Not worth a triple pull.  But when you start arguing that rewards are worth less depending on how many pulls they use... not enough beer in the world man.

Message 19 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think people need to read my book.

"How i learned to stop worrying and love the HP "
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.