cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is getting in with Chase so important?

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Why is getting in with Chase so important?

@Anonymous wrote:
I love Chase's credit cards. It's all personal preference OP. It just seems to me that Chase is serious about the CC business unlike other lenders.

I could definately see the attraction for travelers. Chase freedom 5% bonus catagories could be turned into even more if used for travel after transferring to CSR, and using at partnered airlines.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 21 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So Chase is clearly a prestigious/desirable bank to get in with, and I'm trying to decide how seriously I should work my card portfolio around the 5/24 rule.

The Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are good rewards cards, but don't seem to be any different than the Discover IT and CapitalOne Quicksilver cards. The CSP gets a lot of hype around here, but with a $450 annual fee it does not appeal to me.

So do you really even need to get in with Chase that badly? Why Chase instead of the aforementioned cards, or others like the Citi DC and options from AMEX? Why deal with the hassle of the 5/24 rule for what seems like no benefit over the others?

Skimmed through the comments and thought some one answered but didnt.so I have explained below why Chase points are much more valuable than to their counterparts and why chase cards are desired a bit more than others.

First, Your statement above is not correct. CSP is $95 with 50k+ bonus, CSR is 450 with 100k+ bonus.

Second,

The points of Chase are much more valuable and felxible.

Use as a cash: 1point = 1 cent

Use for bokking travel through chase website: 1 point = 1.25 cents

Use for Transfer of Points to Airline Partners/Hotels: 1 point = 3 to 8 (depends upon the ticekt booked and how you evaluate)

Sell to 3rd party: 1 point = 1.4+ cents

Message 22 of 36
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So Chase is clearly a prestigious/desirable bank to get in with, and I'm trying to decide how seriously I should work my card portfolio around the 5/24 rule.

The Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are good rewards cards, but don't seem to be any different than the Discover IT and CapitalOne Quicksilver cards. The CSP gets a lot of hype around here, but with a $450 annual fee it does not appeal to me.

So do you really even need to get in with Chase that badly? Why Chase instead of the aforementioned cards, or others like the Citi DC and options from AMEX? Why deal with the hassle of the 5/24 rule for what seems like no benefit over the others?

It's all relative. If you have a spending profile that tends to lean toward higher spend and travel, Chase MAY have the best rewards card(s) available to you, depending on how you use points. For someone who has a different spending pattern, their cards may not make so much sense. There is no single best card or bank for everyone. Period.

Message 23 of 36
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

I love Chase - I routinely get between $0.015 (booking through CSR UR portal) up to $0.055 per UR - and that's without having done any international travel.  Since 90%+ of my spend on my Chase UR cards is bonused (and bonused is 2%-10% - the 10% being from my Freedom 4Q 2015 on Amazon), I'm usually getting between 3% at the lowest all the way up to 55% value  - but on average I'm usually seeing 16% in value off my purchases on my Chase UR cards.

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO Chase is just another bank. All of us won't get cards from the same banks. All of our profiles will have a different mix of cards and successes with various lenders.

Message 25 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got something like $900 worth of travel points from the CSP sign on bonuses and the usage to get there. That's worth a lot of $95 fees, plus the first year is waived. Plus, they launched me in to a new (signature) level of CL's, giving me $6k on the FU when the biggest I had was $2500 QS1. Love Chase.

Message 26 of 36
elim
Senior Contributor

Last time I counted they had 14 cards that gave a decent bonus. Besides those and JPM concierge... Just another lender.   They never bother me or deny any charges (even when I travel without notification), but I don't report a balance more than 20% lately or do any questionable spending.  They're great until they aren't so... for me, they're great.    :]

Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it important to get in with Chase? No, but if they have a card that fits your spending then go for it. Some love Chase, others don't, the same can be said for Barclays, AMEX, Citi, US Bank, or _________ (fill in the blank).  Chase emphasizes travel with 3 airlines, 4 hotel, Disney, Sapphire, and AARP. They cover all segments in airlines and mid hotels and up. If you never travel, then most of their cards are not great. Get cards you will use and benefit you, the issuer is secondary in most cases.

Message 28 of 36
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase is good for people who want to use points for travel redemptions. Their signup offers are quite good.If you are interested in cashback then I wouldn't worry about chase and 5/24. Most of their cards aren't as strong for cashback as some other lenders. If they don't fit in with your goals don't waste time worrying about their policies.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 29 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone think Delta will drop Amex and move over to Chase?
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.