cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so hard to go to the garden?

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Why is it so hard to go to the garden?

IMO if your file can afford the AAOA ding and INQs go for it. If you really should be gardening then it is what it is. Personally ive learned from my 2 years of rebuilding that gardening is a good thing and is needed. O dont want any AA from any creditors.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 15
toppers555
Established Contributor

I seriously need to garden , but once I get Cash+ and CSP I really have no other cards I want right now.... SO I will be in a forced garden soon.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 12 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
IMO if your file can afford the AAOA ding and INQs go for it. If you really should be gardening then it is what it is. Personally ive learned from my 2 years of rebuilding that gardening is a good thing and is needed. O dont want any AA from any creditors.

Good points, all around.

It's important to be realistic and aware of where one is on the spectrum of the credit rating scale.  If there's no chance of being approved without some time passing, then gardening isn't only the best course of action, but the only one.

Coversely, if one's file is "thick" enough with positive history, the "free" perks are there to be for the taking.  Unless a person has a huge loan awaiting imminent approval, the point of credit is to derive financial benefit, either through rewards or lower interest on loans.  Most high credit scores will allow for both.

For the person building or rebuilding, it takes some TLs to start showing history and building the file.  In this stage is where I think gardening is somehwat misunderstood. It's far better to be aggressive and try to build TLs quickly (even with rejections and mounting inquiries) than to sit on one $500 account and wait 5 years for this to age.  The latter will work after 10 years of patience, while the former while more deleterious (credit score wise) in the short run will yield results much quicker--about 2 years for all Prime cards to be instantly approved.  Boldness will always be rewarded.  Once in a while during the rebuilding stage, app for that card you want.  Get rejected, who cares?  Call to recon and get berated or demeaned, who cares?  This will yield much better results than waiting for that "perfect" report 7 or 10 years later before apping for that coveted rewards card.  By then, will credit cards even exist or matter?

In my estimation, the credit world and financial institutions are trying to streamline the process to risk management en masse to maximize their return.  We as consumers should understand their mechanisms and proport ourselves creditwise to derive maximum benefit from those rules, whether it be from extra benefit (cash), bonuses, rewards perks, prestige, lower interest and/or a combination thereof on what is most commensurate with our lifestyle.

What credit assuredly isn't is an end onto itself.  It should be used by consumers to transfer wealth (through rewards and perks) to you from those who don't understand, qualify or utilize what is being offered to those with "good" credit.

PS - The old adage we hear growing up "knowledge is power," this is but a small example of it in practice.  This can be applied in a much larger scale yielding much higher benefit, i.e., Warren Buffet, George Soros Et al. -- history of their respective funds.

Message 13 of 15
gpfirestone
New Contributor

I kind of want to go for the 125,000 avios from british airways but i'm not sure if chase is going to be irked that i've also gotten csp and ink plus in the same week.  i may call and offer to cancel my freedom CL in order to get the BA card.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 14 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

I kind of want to go for the 125,000 avios from british airways but i'm not sure if chase is going to be irked that i've also gotten csp and ink plus in the same week.  i may call and offer to cancel my freedom CL in order to get the BA card.

For 3 cards (mix of business and perosonal), Chase is fine.  You'll have to recon on the 3rd, but give them a good reason and they'll approve it.  Four in a short period is where you start to cross the line with Chase.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.