cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my credit affecting an authorized user?

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for looking! 

I lost my job and am unable to make my payments for credit cards, my sister was just an authorized user for some of my cards and upon checking her credit report, the credit card companies are of course reporting mine as late, however they are showing on my sisters credit report too and affecting her score/report.

Is this a possibility? How do I go about removing her from these and getting it cleaned up? I feel horrible for this happening to her as her credit report was outstanding before everything happened. 

If anyone has any information or insight, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is my credit affecting an authorized user?

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

I lost my job and am unable to make my payments for credit cards, my sister was just an authorized user for some of my cards and upon checking her credit report, the credit card companies are of course reporting mine as late, however they are showing on my sisters credit report too and affecting her score/report.

Is this a possibility? How do I go about removing her from these and getting it cleaned up? I feel horrible for this happening to her as her credit report was outstanding before everything happened. 

If anyone has any information or insight, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Yes it is possible but it is an easy fix.  Have your sister dispute the accounts directly with the CRAs as not her accounts and they will be removed from her reports.

The pendulum swings both ways with AUs.  

I hope this helps you and her.  Good Luck!

I do wish you the best of luck in finding a new job and getting everything back to order.  Don't lose hope of fixing your credit.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 7
nyancat
Established Contributor

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

It is intended to help spouses of the primary income earner in a family. Your sister can request authorised user accounts not be reported.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 3 of 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Correct, whatever reports on your card that your sister is on will go on the same for your sister. The only difference between a authorized user and joint accountant is who needs to pay. So in example if your sister maxed the card, your the one liable for pay.

However it plays the other way too, so as stated if you dont pay or make a late payment its going to show on any authorized user reports. As for removing, you can try calling the lender otherwise i think your sister needs to call and have herself removed. I know for capital one, the authorized user needs to call and ask to be removed.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

Your credit isn't.  Your tradeline is.  When you add someone as an AU the account shows up on their reports as well (if the account reports for AU's).  That's why the details of account matter when adding an AU in an attempt to help the AU.  If the account has high utilization, derogs, etc it will not help the AU.

You can request to have the person removed as an AU and the account will be removed from that person's reports.

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Have your sister dispute the accounts directly with the CRAs as not her accounts and they will be removed from her reports.

No need to dispute unless the account isn't removed from the reports after the request to remove is placed with the creditor.

Message 5 of 7
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

OP so sorry about the job situation...hopefully you are able to back on your feet soon.

I know this isn't what you asked, but is there any way you can at least make the minimum payments? Lates are a killer; even one 30 day can ding your credit for 2 years.

Obviously if your choice is between buying food/clothes for your kids or making the rent/mortgage payment the choice is obvious. However if there's anyway you can find a way to squeeze those monthly minimums, I would try as hard as possible to do so (speaking from experience). The credit impact will far outlive your current situation.

Good luck and keep your head up!
Message 6 of 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

Your credit isn't.  Your tradeline is.  When you add someone as an AU the account shows up on their reports as well (if the account reports for AU's).  That's why the details of account matter when adding an AU in an attempt to help the AU.  If the account has high utilization, derogs, etc it will not help the AU.

You can request to have the person removed as an AU and the account will be removed from that person's reports.

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Have your sister dispute the accounts directly with the CRAs as not her accounts and they will be removed from her reports.

No need to dispute unless the account isn't removed from the reports after the request to remove is placed with the creditor.

The fastest and easiest way to have a AU account removed from the CB is to dispute directly.  Going the creditor route could take in upwards of 2-3 months to have removed.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.