cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my credit limit so low? What are my chances of getting a prime card??

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is my credit limit so low? What are my chances of getting a prime card??

@SwiftTone wrote:

I should have listened to you. I applied for a Sapphire Preferred, and got denied after a recon. Reason being my other CLs were not large enough.

So I guess I'll do what you suggested and head to the CUs. If I get approved for a CU CC with a good CL, how long should I wait before applying again?

Thanks

Sapphire Preferred is Visa Signature only, which means a minimum credit limit of $5000 is required for approval. Chase won't issue you a Visa Signature if they cannot extend $5000 of credit to you.

Your late payments are hurting you A LOT than you think. Your AAoA is also very low. Those two factors alone is why Chase refuses to grant you more credit. While CU is generous, don't expect high CL from them either. Until those late payments are off your reports, you won't be in prime club yet.

Capital One rarely does auto CLI, and currently does not accept request for CLI.

Message 21 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Why is my credit limit so low? What are my chances of getting a prime card??

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

I should have listened to you. I applied for a Sapphire Preferred, and got denied after a recon. Reason being my other CLs were not large enough.

So I guess I'll do what you suggested and head to the CUs. If I get approved for a CU CC with a good CL, how long should I wait before applying again?

Thanks

Sapphire Preferred is Visa Signature only, which means a minimum credit limit of $5000 is required for approval. Chase won't issue you a Visa Signature if they cannot extend $5000 of credit to you.

You late payment is hurting you A LOT than you think. Your AAoA is also very low. Those two factors alone is why Chase refuses to grant you more credit. While CU is generous, don't expect high CL from them either. Until those late payments are off your reports, you won't be in prime club yet.

Capital One rarely does auto CLI, and currently does not accept request for CLI.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 33
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Ouick suggestion start GW all thos lates while you are letting accounts age.  Goal for no derogs or lates.  This makes you super appealing to the prime lenders!!

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 23 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

Ouick suggestion start GW all thos lates while you are letting accounts age.  Goal for no derogs or lates.  This makes you super appealing to the prime lenders!!

+1

Hopefully they remove them for you OP!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 24 of 33
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@daisydvm wrote:

Thanks

In my opinion, I think you should wait at least a year before you apply for any other cards. Let your accounts grow and the inquires age off. Three revolving credit cards is PLENTY to build your credit history. Keep your utilizations low on those cards and pay your accounts on time. Even if it means paying off your card multiple times a month. My two cents.

Problem is that my 2 Capital Ones stopped growing. Stuck at CL's of $1000 and $1250. I don't think my Slate will grow as fast as I like.

I am thinking of hitting up DCU to see what kind of CL they will give me. They pull EQ and I don't have any inquires on EQ, I'll bring a copy of my recent CR and talk to someone to try to get an idea what type of CL they can give me.

Good or bad idea??

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 25 of 33
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Good idea at least you can try

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 26 of 33
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Good idea, but please do something about those lates.

Message 27 of 33
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Yep, I will probably work on GW letters to Capital One and Toyota about those lates.

So my plan is to get a higher CL CC with a CU, work on gettings lates removed from my CR, and garden for the next or so...

I really don't need to large CL, but I'd like to improve it anyways for the future. 

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 28 of 33
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Went to 2 credit unions this morning. DCU and RTN. Neither can give me an idea of what kind of CL they can give me without apping.

Should I app? DCU pulled EQ, which I have no iquiries on. If I am not happy with the CL, I can always just not open the card, and it would just be an inquiry.

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 29 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Right, as I've learned, with Visa Sigs, unless you have an existing CL of at least $5k, your Fico scores are irrelevant.  Even if you have 850 with tons of money at their bank, you will still be declined.  I was told the system cannot be manually over-riden, even by a credit analyst for this.

As to getting a higher CL, the first is the toughest since no one really wants to be the first lender to give you something higher than you've ever had in the past.  The best advice here is to focus on one or a couple of good issuers and use/pay the cards frequently.  Eventually, you'll be able to request a CLI above $5k.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.