cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Discover Miles card not popular here?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is the Discover Miles card not popular here?

@cjesser15 wrote:
I understand the reasons why many consider it mediocre and I don't disagree. But why is the Quicksilver more popular? Same base reward rate, no triple pull. Discover acceptance may be an issue in some areas but other than that I can't think of a reason.

There's your reason most likely.  A Visa is going to be accepted more places around the world, and since they both have no FTF and have the same rewards structure after year one it may be the reason.

Also, Cap One is less conservative than Discover most of the time.

Also, Discover is a really funny animal when it comes to approvals sometimes, especially on cold apps.  YMMV.

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short answer it is a more restrictive card for approval.  The it card is an easier approval than the miles card. For the QS question it's the same answer. Why waste a HP on a card issuer who can be shaky with approvals while the other approves almost anyone.

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll say this regarding shaky Discover approvals. I have two friends who are my age and got It Chrome Student cards for their very first credit cards with $2000 limits and they work only part time. I applied for the same card after I had already gotten a Visa from my local bank, and I work full time, and I was instantly denied. I didn't get that one at all. So I am definitely iffy on if or when I should reapply with them. Seems like I was the better candidate and yet I got shafted.
Message 23 of 28
cjesser15
Contributor

I guess I find that odd. I've always found Discover to be generous and easy to get in with. I've had 3 all with large limits. My fiance got approved despite having a bill in collections. And my brother got approved with no credit history to speak of. But I know that's a small sample size. But fair enough. I guess that answers my question.
Message 24 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Thought about this card and decided on the Travel Rewards Visa from BOA because I have accounts with them and they offer 10% extra making it a 1.65/dollar...not to mention the SL was probably better than I would have got with Discover and it'll probably grow faster. 

Isn't Discover pretty good with SP CLIs? BoA rarely offers auto CLI and never SP CLI. For a faster growing card I would've gone with Discover no doubt

When I was deciding I couldn't find any info on the Discover Miles card that lead me to believe Discover would grow quickly.  And you're right, it's and HP for every increase I assume with BOA. I took an HP after my 3 month on my Travel Rewards and went from $2k to $9k so it was worth it to me.  

For future data points:  My card: SL $12,500.  2 requests in about 8 months brought it to $19K.   My wife's card: SL $9,500   Three requests brought it to $19.500 in 7 months.

So not amazing, but better than say, Target!

Message 25 of 28
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Thought about this card and decided on the Travel Rewards Visa from BOA because I have accounts with them and they offer 10% extra making it a 1.65/dollar...not to mention the SL was probably better than I would have got with Discover and it'll probably grow faster. 

Isn't Discover pretty good with SP CLIs? BoA rarely offers auto CLI and never SP CLI. For a faster growing card I would've gone with Discover no doubt

When I was deciding I couldn't find any info on the Discover Miles card that lead me to believe Discover would grow quickly.  And you're right, it's and HP for every increase I assume with BOA. I took an HP after my 3 month on my Travel Rewards and went from $2k to $9k so it was worth it to me.  

Interesting...I opened both Miles It and Travel Rewards at the same time (thought I'd be traveling for work). Miles It sl: 5K. TR sl: 14K.  Both were the second cards with Disco and BOA. Just got a cli from BOA to 20K after 100 days, nothing yet for Miles It. I read a lot about Disco cli's here, but for me, in this case, they are on the bench.

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another data point:

My Discover IT CL went up 75% (1 auto, 1 CLI) in 3.5 months from open.  I got the increases even after my a spree reported that showed 5 new lines, FICO dropped 40 points, DTI jumped from 0% to 14%, and AAoA was cut in half.

I have been maxing out those 5% quarters so maybe my big PIF payments are making Discover more friendly.

The Discover IT is a must have in my book.

Message 27 of 28
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I think that the general reason is that the rewards program for the Discover It Miles is rather weak. First there is no 5% catagories like the Discover It which makes earning a nightmare. Then you have the low SL and acceptance by merchants. And lastly you have to remember that not all points are treated the same. Basicly diffrent points programs have diffrent power and some are better than others. To really put the nail in the coffin is the increased complexaty to get approval for the Miles and Discovers habit of being all over the place and you just have a card athat nobody wants to take a chance on. Basicly something like a CSP, CSR, BoA Travel, Capitol One Venture all have considerable more strangth for earnings and application.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.