cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Freedom considered Chase's entry level card?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Why is the Freedom considered Chase's entry level card?

@megaman1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would classify Slate as entry to.   Interesting, CreditKarma score results have

Freedom:  Lowest score approved 643, average score approved 696

Slate:   Lowest score approved 661, average approved 730!

This might be because of relatively small sample size (Slate was 4 thousand, Freedom 14 thousand) but surprised me.

Also, entry here means relative to the universe of Chase cards, not compared to all issuers, so First Premier etc have much lower requirements.  But Chase Freedom is a relatively easy Chase card, hence "entry"

creditkarma works for a profit....so...

Not sure what you mean.  Are you saying the CK is fudging the data?  Do they get a different commission on Slate vs Freedom and push everyone towards that?  (But Chase would still have to approve)

Message 11 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

Its called an entry card for chase because its one of the easier chase cards to qualify for, due to the fact that they can issue it at a lower initial credit limit (e.g. $500) whereas a card like the CSP requires an initial credit limit of at least 5k. Its not an entry level card if you compare it to all credit cards in the industry. I always thought the slate was easier to get and I agree with the prior poster who mentioned the sample size being inadquate to draw a proper conclusion.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 16
rlx01
Established Contributor

I don't know about entry level (or what the definition of that is), but I think you'll find that millions of people who aren't really into rewards/travel/whatever carry a Freedom because that's what Chase tends to push.

The Slate serves a different purpose, which is namely to carry balances/BT.
Message 13 of 16
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Slate can be offered @ $500 CLs too, and has no rewards. While yes it is their BT / "low" rate card, I don't think it would be harder to get than freedom unless maybe one's UTIL was very high. 

When I checked my prequalified offers with chase, both Freedom and Slate were offered (no Sapp or Sapp Pref). 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 14 of 16
negg
Frequent Contributor

You gotta take what credit karma says with a grain of salt, not exactly up to date info on that site. To this date it tells me I have poor chance at an Amex card(I have) and a good chance for CSP(not happening).   

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 15 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@negg wrote:

You gotta take what credit karma says with a grain of salt, not exactly up to date info on that site. To this date it tells me I have poor chance at an Amex card(I have) and a good chance for CSP(not happening).   

These are not recommendations, which are indeed not reliable, this is data they have collected from the TU CR and applications.  While not FICO scores, they can be used in a relative way.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.