cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is your credit limit determined by income instead of networth?

tag
techcrium
Established Member

Why is your credit limit determined by income instead of networth?

If you have $5 million bucks and just quit your job, and on your credit card application, you put $0 as income, the issuers will flat out deny your application...

Even though you can easily pay off the debt.

Isn't that flawed?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is your credit limit determined by income instead of networth?

Don't put 0 as income. If you truly have 5M bucks in the bank, you can easily get 1% interest on that, which is $50K a year in income.

You should be able to get more then 1%.

Is this a real life example?

Dan
Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 2 of 20
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@techcrium wrote:

If you have $5 million bucks and just quit your job, and on your credit card application, you put $0 as income, the issuers will flat out deny your application...

Isn't that flawed?

Okay.  Unless your money is sitting in a box or safe deposit box, you have income.  Prior to buying a new house, I have 500K and my monthly income from that was $1300 per month (the amount of time funds would last if I drew a monthly amount for 30 years).  

Reassess your situation and figure out your monthly draw.  Then starting drawing it. I would draw on the amount of 1/2 the funds and use the rest for business, a house or whatever reason you decided to sit on 5 mil.

As far a your queston on whether or not it's flawed, no.  Credit is based on how you handle credit and not just ability to pay.  Since returns from investments and income are considered income, most people wouldn't say they have $0 income if they have $5 mil.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 20
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Dividends from stocks and interest from bonds, CDs, savings/checking accounts is valid income to report. 

However, if you have gain/loss on paper only, you cannot claim it. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 20
techcrium
Established Member

Let's assume it is fully invested in stocks that pay no dividends....

For example Berskhire Hathaway, Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc

You have 5 million bucks in stocks, 0 income, and credit card issuers will not issue you a single card?

Sounsd like a flaw

Message 5 of 20
iv
Valued Contributor

@techcrium wrote:

Let's assume it is fully invested in stocks that pay no dividends....

For example Berskhire Hathaway, Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc

You have 5 million bucks in stocks, 0 income, and credit card issuers will not issue you a single card?

Sounsd like a flaw

If you have no income, and all your assets are tied up in non-dividend, non-interest-paying investments...  then what are you buying food with?

If you are liquididating a fraction of your holdings regularly to pay expenses... you have income.  (Yes, it may not be taxable income, if you are offsetting losses.)

If you aren't... then what are you planning to pay the credit card bill with?

Regardless... your manufactured scenario isn't realistic - you will in practice need to have some source of income for basic living expenses. Not to mention that the credit card arm of an institution you have $5M invested with will be more than happy to issue you a card.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 6 of 20
techcrium
Established Member

You are saying if I liquidate my investments, that is counted as income?

So if I sell $200,000 worth of stocks and move it over to my checkings account this December, when I apply for credit cards, I can basically put that I had $200,000 in income this year??

Message 7 of 20
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

@techcrium wrote:

You are saying if I liquidate my investments, that is counted as income?

So if I sell $200,000 worth of stocks and move it over to my checkings account this December, when I apply for credit cards, I can basically put that I had $200,000 in income this year??

No, but your gains on those withdrawals would be considered income. 

Side note - do you have any examples of someone with $5MM in liquid assets not being able to secure a decent limit credit card?  WIthout that your hypothetical scenario doesn't really hold water.

Message 8 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@techcrium wrote:

Isn't that flawed?

American Express? On the American Express applications, they ask for net worth indicators also. Income may be a factor, but wealth is also considered.

And, worst case scenario, open a secured credit card with the likes of SDFCU (no credit check, no income verification) and put the amount you want to be able to charge in the savings account. Likely up to $5k is allowed. There's your new credit card limit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 20
Aahz
Established Contributor

@techcrium wrote:

Isn't that flawed?

If there were no recourse after an auto-denial for a $0 income then the system would be flawed.  However, the current system does have recourse after the denial.  You simply call the reconsideration line and explain the situation.  Once you prove the existence of your $5 million in cash they'll be happy to issue you a card.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.