Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why more than one app at a time?

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Why more than one app at a time?

I'm just curious....

I noticed that people in this forum app for more than one CC at a time. I guess you call them app sprees?

Why do you do that?

Doesn't your score drop after each app?

Jamie

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: Why more than one app at a time?

I know some folks like to do all their apps at the same time that way all the inquiries will fall off at the same time, instead of them building inquiries over a period of time.  That way when they all fall off, you can do the process again starting with no inquiries.  At least this is how I see it.  I'm sure someone with more experience with this will chime in.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 20
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

In addition to the above post (inquiries falling off at the same time), I also do it because if I do get approved for multiple cards, I don't want them to see all my new accounts until after I've been approved. 

For example, if I apply for AMEX this month...get approved, then a month or so later I apply for a Citi, well now Citi can see I just opened a new account and may deny me. Whereas if I apply for them on the same day or two, Citi doesn't yet know that I just opened an AMEX account, and if they don't pull the same CR as AMEX, they don't even know that I applied for any other card. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I plan my apps for about once a year and I get my utilization down low for that time to boost my score.   I then app for 2 maybe 3 CC.   It is not convenient for me to get my utilization low most of the time.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plus it is an addiction and many of us have addictive personalities

**tries to look innocent**

Message 5 of 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

good thread so ill also post this question. so if you app for 3 cc's say in a span of 30 min will the inquiry hit right away when you app? say the first to apps i put in pull ex then when i app for the 3rd and it pulls ex again will the magical computer already see 2 apps and possibly deny me too many recent inquiries? i know i would never app for 3 of the same beareu pullers at the same time as i pretty much have an idea who pulls who but im just wondering if inquiries kicked in right away

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 20
boomhower
Valued Contributor

INQ"s are reported instantly so the second app will see the first apps INQ.  It's more about apping before the new accounts hit.  Plus with three CRA"S the apps are INQ are usually spread around a bit and not all on one report. 

Message 7 of 20
poops
Contributor

When I app for the CC's I want, I plan to open 2 different browsers with 2 different CC applications. When I've completed the applications, I will hit the submit buttons one immediately after the other. This might not work but, I'm hoping this will prevent one inquiry from seeing the other... Who knows, it might work...

Message 8 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

In addition to the above post (inquiries falling off at the same time), I also do it because if I do get approved for multiple cards, I don't want them to see all my new accounts until after I've been approved. 

For example, if I apply for AMEX this month...get approved, then a month or so later I apply for a Citi, well now Citi can see I just opened a new account and may deny me. Whereas if I apply for them on the same day or two, Citi doesn't yet know that I just opened an AMEX account, and if they don't pull the same CR as AMEX, they don't even know that I applied for any other card. 

Not sure if that makes total sense. If you app for AMEX one day and 10 minutes later app for Citi they're going to see a new INQ if they pull the same bureau.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

@poops wrote:

When I app for the CC's I want, I plan to open 2 different browsers with 2 different CC applications. When I've completed the applications, I will hit the submit buttons one immediately after the other. This might not work but, I'm hoping this will prevent one inquiry from seeing the other... Who knows, it might work...

That is what we in the programming world would call a dirty read.  IMHO it won't work since a good database system/programmer  would check for things like that. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.