Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no praise?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Why no praise?

So went to Sams Club as usual, and thought why doesnt their card get more praise than it gets? Like i mean unless im missing something here the rewards are really decent. Am I missing something?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why no praise?

@Skye12329 wrote:

So went to Sams Club as usual, and thought why doesnt their card get more praise than it gets? Like i mean unless im missing something here the rewards are really decent. Am I missing something?

Perhaps because it's seen as just another store card.

It's on my list for next year.

Message 2 of 21
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Depending on what Costco does, Sams might be on my list next year too. I may jump regardless....

Message 3 of 21
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Bingo. There's a lot that goes into the "appeal" of a credit card and often times it isn't the rewards structure alone but prestige as well; the "feel" we get when we pull it out and use it. I have this card but don't use it over my AMEX or Chase. It is what it is.

Also, remember that this is 'technically' an AF card (Sam's membership is required), so unless you were already a big shopper at Sam's this card may have less bennies. 

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also there is that thing about only getting your cashback once a year...
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mother has it and it is quite nice.

The cons I see are:

• There is an annual rewards cap, and the tiers have caps too.  Yeah, it's a high cap (in my opinion) but some people don't like that.
  • The cash back comes in the form of a check once a year, and it has to be redeemed at Sam's (ETA: it doesn't have to be redeemed for products but IIRC it has to be cashed out there at their customer service department).  Not being able to redeem as you like is a turn off to some people.

I can handle the cap because there's no way I would personally break it, but that redemption deal isn't my favorite.  My mom liked it when her check came in a couple weeks ago - she got most of her shopping trip for free that day which was handy.  We also share a Sam's Club Plus membership so we get the 2% back through that as well that pays for our membership, so she doesn't even have a faux annual fee for her Sam's Club Mastercard.  

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i dont shop at sams but if i did it would make sense to have it

Message 7 of 21
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I agree with you Nixon that i still consider it a store card which slightly deters me, but as also mentioned the look. I didnt know you only get the CB once a year...well i guess the pre-approval for me is ending in the shredder with the rest. Thanks!
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 8 of 21
happypill
Valued Contributor

No Sams Club anywhere near me.

Message 9 of 21
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

If you live near a Sam's Club and not a Costco it's pretty much a no-brainer.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.