cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why only few people like Wells Fargo cards here?

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Why only few people like Wells Fargo cards here?

Bank fines due by the USGov in billions - WF is #4, but look at #1 BoA, #2 Chase, #3 Citi (all popular lenders on MyFico) and the amounts if you think WF is so "evil" - I'm not defending WF, I'm just addressing the outrage factor as not unique.  (figures are through the end of 2015)  

Company - Total settlments - Sums paid ($billions)
Bank of America34$77.09
JPMorgan Chase26$40.12
Citigroup18$18.39
Wells Fargo10$10.24
BNP Paribas1$8.90
UBS8$6.54
Deutsche Bank4$5.53
Morgan Stanley7$4.78
Barclays7$4.23
Credit Suisse4$3.74
Source: Keffe, Bruyette & Woods

Message 51 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

WoW .....BofA #1!!! Don't bank with them....but own the stock crazy.... very interesting
Message 52 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Bank fines due by the USGov in billions - WF is #4, but look at #1 BoA, #2 Chase, #3 Citi (all popular lenders on MyFico) and the amounts if you think WF is so "evil" - I'm not defending WF, I'm just addressing the outrage factor as not unique.  (figures are through the end of 2015)  

Company - Total settlments - Sums paid ($billions)
Bank of America34$77.09
JPMorgan Chase26$40.12
Citigroup18$18.39
Wells Fargo10$10.24
BNP Paribas1$8.90
UBS8$6.54
Deutsche Bank4$5.53
Morgan Stanley7$4.78
Barclays7$4.23
Credit Suisse4$3.74
Source: Keffe, Bruyette & Woods

Thank you for finding this.  This literally proves my previous statement.  Like I said previously WF was made an example of versus what other banks are paying in fines as well.

Message 53 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally don't want a WF account because I don't care for their rewards or HP CLI's (and has nothing to do with their problems with fraud)
.....but you are right Cali.....it's what I said before-every company has bad apples.

To sort of try and end this post since everyone is going to have an opinion on WF based on their own knowledge, experience, or rumors.....

If OP has accounts with WF and wants a card with them. Go for it. If you are disappointed in them because of whatever reason you find... close it. You may love their CS. I actually heard they have really tried to make strides since the fallout and have focused on CS. Time will tell. But... if you want the card apply. I wish you luck.
Message 54 of 71
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I still don't understand why there are posters trying to silence others from voicing their opinions/grievances against Wells Fargo in a thread that is -literally- soliciting responses as to why it is perceived that so few people like the bank. The OP's question seems very clear to me, and it would be extremely easy for someone to start another thread comparing the largest banks and their misconduct if such a discussion is desired. Let people respond to the OP as they see fit!

Message 55 of 71
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
I still don't understand why there are posters trying to silence others from voicing their opinions/grievances against Wells Fargo in a thread that is -literally- soliciting responses as to why it is perceived that so few people like the bank. The OP's question seems very clear to me, and it would be extremely easy for someone to start another thread comparing the largest banks and their misconduct if such a discussion is desired. Let people respond to the OP as they see fit!

The point of my post, was to address comments from early in this tread ie:

Less than a year ago WF was busted for their extremely unethical business practices in branches. Bankers opening fake accounts under real customer names and social security numbers. This was done to help them meet their quotas. The CEO stepped down because of it.

If you don't like the WF cards fine, if you don't want to do business with WF fine, but to think WF is unique in their actions or business practices, just be forewarned that all of the big banks are far from "pure". I certainly am NOT trying to silence anyone, but if you read the complete tread, you'll see that these posts are relative to part of the conversation.

Message 56 of 71
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I am sorry to disappoint everyone.  WF really doesn't want the MF crowd as customers.  We aren't that profitable.  I am working on the WF checking $250 bonus right now.  In 6 months, I will look at their CC bonuses. Last time I looked the bonus was only $150 for a no-AF card.  Nothing to get too excited about.  However, we do need pauses in between hitting up BoA/Chase/Citi for CC bonuses.  I might even decide to keep one of their CC cards.  I don't have a cell phone bill to take advantage of their insurance.  But, I have always liked stage coach design (at least the web pics). 

Message 57 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two points 1) The fine table Most of Bank America fine came from Countrywide which they "rescued" 2) If you think their credit card fraud was bad, I heard worse lending stories about them .  

Message 58 of 71
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

The point of my post, was to address comments from early in this tread ie:

Less than a year ago WF was busted for their extremely unethical business practices in branches. Bankers opening fake accounts under real customer names and social security numbers. This was done to help them meet their quotas. The CEO stepped down because of it.

If you don't like the WF cards fine, if you don't want to do business with WF fine, but to think WF is unique in their actions or business practices, just be forewarned that all of the big banks are far from "pure". I certainly am NOT trying to silence anyone, but if you read the complete tread, you'll see that these posts are relative to part of the conversation.

I actually wasn't even referring to you at all with the sentence you bolded. In fact, I don't disagree with you; but I do think you should completely read the sentence you highlighted. The issue I have are the posts suggesting or even directly telling people to not bother opining if they fault Wells Fargo for last year's scandal because it happens at every bank. It really shouldn't matter what happened at another bank when the discussion's parameters specified Wells Fargo and why people don't like them. I don't agree with a lot of posts I read on the internet, but I do believe people should be free to voice their opinion on a matter, especially when it's solicited.

Message 59 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is this post still going on? Is it not apparent that we all have different opinions on WF and every other single Bank as well?
Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.