Did you mean: 

Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

tag
nishant1
New Contributor

Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

I am disappointed with Citi cards due to disadvantgage over similar Chase cards

1) Citi cards come with lot of strings

2) Have to wait for rewards to accumulate $50 without which I cannot redeem Citi Dividend compared to any other competitor.

3) Citi Dividend 5% categories are useless compared to Chase Freedom. This year Q1 categories, I will save a huge saving of $5 from citi dividend from 3 month gym membership

4) I cannot combine Citi points to make redemption faster. Whereas I can combine my 3 Chase cards- Freedom, Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Mastercard (For Sams club use only) for cashback or airline or just gift cards at discount from Chase website.

Please share your views

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

The only Citi cards I see were having are:

1.  Forward - At 5X dining and amzn, this is the best rewards for general dining, movies, and bookstores.  The Thank You program isn't very good, but they seem to be making an effor to improve it by offering HHnors as a transfer partner.  One can only hope more will be added.

2.  AA - The only card if you fly AA frequently, and the only issuer offering sign up bonus AA miles.

3.  Premier - No forex, discount on flights, and receive credit for miles flown.  Only use is to keep Thank You points at higher redemption rate, ability to transfer, and to be used in SE Asia, where Citi is far and away the most prestigious name in American banking.

Aside from those 3, I don't find any of their cards even remotely compelling.  

Message 2 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

@Open123 wrote:

The only Citi cards I see were having are:

1.  Forward - At 5X dining and amzn, this is the best rewards for general dining, movies, and bookstores.  The Thank You program isn't very good, but they seem to be making an effor to improve it by offering HHnors as a transfer partner.  One can only hope more will be added.

2.  AA - The only card if you fly AA frequently, and the only issuer offering sign up bonus AA miles.

3.  Premier - No forex, discount on flights, and receive credit for miles flown.  Only use is to keep Thank You points at higher redemption rate, ability to transfer, and to be used in SE Asia, where Citi is far and away the most prestigious name in American banking.

Aside from those 3, I don't find any of their cards even remotely compelling.  

There is a slight case to be made for the Preferred, in that it keeps the Thank You points at a higher redemption rate, like the Premiere, with no AF.  However, it has none of the travel advantages (discount + points for miles flown) so useful only if you really want, e.g. to redeem for gift cards at full value.

OP, if you do happen to have some of these cards (Forward, Thank You Premiere, Thank You Preferred, Thank You, Dividend etc), you can combine all the points, just like Chase.  However, most of them, as Open123 says, are probably not worth having, and one that is, the Citi AA family, don't use Thank You points.

Edit: Not dividend, I guess that doesn't use TYP..

Message 3 of 14
mirachi
Regular Contributor

I would get the Dividend just for its potential to cover one of the rotating quarters (same reason why I would get Discover IT/More and Freedom).

But if you're trying to cut down on cards and your scores/income/credit report is good enough to qualify for usbank cash+, why not go for that instead? You get to choose 2 categories for 5% and one for 2% - all other purchases are 1%.

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 4 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Dividend is capped at $300 per year for all (non-mall) spending?  Isn't this worse than most of the rotators, that cap at $75 per quarter on 5%, but unlimited 1%?

Probably doesn't matter as you would use this card only on the 5%, but seems another strike against.

Message 5 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Dividend is capped at $300 per year for all (non-mall) spending?  Isn't this worse than most of the rotators, that cap at $75 per quarter on 5%, but unlimited 1%?

Probably doesn't matter as you would use this card only on the 5%, but seems another strike against.

Yes, capped at $300 total.

It's a good card for the occasional Taco Bell purchase.

Message 6 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

And of course the non-student Forward is currently gone from the Citi site.

Message 7 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@nishant1 wrote:

4) I cannot combine Citi points to make redemption faster. Whereas I can combine my 3 Chase cards- Freedom, Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Mastercard (For Sams club use only) for cashback or airline or just gift cards at discount from Chase website.

Please share your views

If you can not do it yourself, ring Citi and they will do it for you. I have multiple Citi deposit accounts and two Citi credit cards, and all of the points go into one Thank You account.

Citi cards are really nothing great, though. Sign up bonuses and targeted offers can be nice, but other than that, I have no use for them. I do agree that the Dividend is usually rubbish compared to Chase.

Message 8 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

When it comes to rewards and sign up bonsues, I suppose it isn't fair to compare Citi (or, anyone) to Chase.  

No issuer comes even close to offering the kinds of sign up bonsues and rewards structure that Chase has put into their cards.  Amex comes close, but even they are cutting back on the sign up bonuses.

Citi is better than Wells, I guess.

Message 9 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you've recently apped for two chase cards and want another signup bonus, Citi is a good option.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.