cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

Citi has one advantage that Chase and many lenders do not have, repeated offer on purchase and BT.

Citi will constantly offer you 0% on BT (and sometime purchase too) so long as you keep your account in good standing. Chase on the other hand only offers 0% BT as one time introductory offer.

Citi actually makes its card a good financing tool.

@bs6054 wrote:

Dividend is capped at $300 per year for all (non-mall) spending?  Isn't this worse than most of the rotators, that cap at $75 per quarter on 5%, but unlimited 1%?

Probably doesn't matter as you would use this card only on the 5%, but seems another strike against.

Assuming Citi offers good 5% category, this makes Dividend a blaster 5% cashback card. Let's say Citi and Chase offer 5% on home improvement and I need to buy a $3,000 wall oven. Normally with Chase Freedom it only covers the first $1,500, which isn't enough for a wall oven. But with Citi Dividend, I can get 5% on the full amount or $150 cashback instead.

Message 11 of 14
nishant1
New Contributor

Re: Why should I be interested in Citi cards compared to corresponding Chase cards

I agree. Sign up bonus is one good reason for sign up for the Citi cards. I use it for 3 months for such new cards to meet minimum charge to get sign up bonus and then keep the card away till it becomes useful again.

Citi Forward is one unique card which is useful for fast food, restaurants and movies. There are not many which give 5 points per dollar.

However, for very small amounts, Chase Freedom 10/10 is very good. Let us say for a muffin for $2 from Starbucks10, then Chase Freedom gives 10 points for swipe and 10 points for $2 for star bucks for this quarter- about 10% cash back.

If it was $2 McDonalds coffee, it would be 12 points but still impressive 6% cash back.

For amounts smaller than $5, it is much better to use Freedom due to 10 points per swipe it gives irrespective of amount.

Message 12 of 14
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Citi will constantly offer you 0% on BT (and sometime purchase too) so long as you keep your account in good standing. Chase on the other hand only offers 0% BT as one time introductory offer.

@Not true. Iv'e had my Chase Slate for 5+ yrs, and I get BT @ 0% offers from time to time.  In fact, Chase has sent me 2 offers by email in the last three months for 0% BT for 15 months on my existing Slate card.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 13 of 14
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Not true. Iv'e had my Chase Slate for 5+ yrs, and I get BT @ 0% offers from time to time.  In fact, Chase has sent me 2 offers by email in the last three months for 0% BT for 15 months on my existing Slate card.

Some how I managed to put my "not true" comment inside the quote.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.