cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so Chase strict about decision before approved applicants for United Airlines Explorer Card?

tag
americanstar

Why so Chase strict about decision before approved applicants for United Airlines Explorer Card?

Why so Chase strict about decision before approved applicants for United Airlines Explorer, Marriott, Premier, Hyatt, Southwest Card?

However, other banks like Citibank or American Express won't strict so always give applicants so approved when they apply, correct?

I can see that it is hardest to get approved for United Chase card, how come but not Delta Amex?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Why so Chase strict about decision before approved applicants for United Airlines Explorer Card?

Actually my United Explorer and Marriot were both instant apporvals.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 2 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Why so Chase strict about decision before approved applicants for United Airlines Explorer Card?

Personally I dont think the Chase united explorer card is that difficult to get, I would rank it easier than the delta gold.

Message 3 of 9
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

Personally I dont think the Chase united explorer card is that difficult to get, I would rank it easier than the delta gold.

+1 , Usually when someone brings up problems with Chase, it's because of their thin credit line or not having enough credit history. Do you have atleast with atleast 2 years of good history? Or atleast 1 credit line with atleast 5k? 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 9
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Chase SW was an instant approval for me, so was INK.  Just had to recon Freedom.

Message 5 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It sounds like you're asking why approvals aren't as easy for certain cards.  It's nothing unique to Chase.  The creditors determine what their underwriting criteria are for each of their products.  The Chase Freedom and Slate, for example, are generally regarded as easier to get approved for.  If that's not what you're asking then please clarify.  Your OP is a bit tricky to understand.

@americanstar wrote:

I can see that it is hardest to get approved for United Chase card, how come but not Delta Amex? 

You can't just assume that 2 cards should have the same approval criteria just because they're both cobranded with airlines.  Which specific United card are you referring to and how did you determine that it was the hardest to get approved for?

Again, underwriting criteria can vary from product to product and creditor to creditor.  The criteria for the United card you're referring to and the Delta AmEx are not relevant to each other since Chase and AmEx are separate entities.

Message 6 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Chase, simply put, does not like thin files or any derog history reporting. That's why they ask you to check that box, before clicking submit. I know to never app another chase product until after my repo falls off next year
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 9
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

@americanstar wrote:

Why so Chase strict about decision before approved applicants for United Airlines Explorer, Marriott, Premier, Hyatt, Southwest Card?

However, other banks like Citibank or American Express won't strict so always give applicants so approved when they apply, correct?

Chase is no more strict then American Express, even less so then Citi because of their great recon ability.

Their initial lending qualifications for new accounts aren't very strict, as long as you have a few years of history imo.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 8 of 9
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

@americanstar wrote:

Chase is no more strict then American Express, even less so then Citi because of their great recon ability.

Their initial lending qualifications for new accounts aren't very strict, as long as you have a few years of history imo.

+ 1 I agree. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.