Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many cards?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Why so many cards?

+1 to nuts!

I also like establishing lines now, it will give them time to age and build my AAoA. Later on if I have an actual need for a high FICO, my AAoA will be good and stable even if I need a few new accounts.  

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 69
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

For me, it's a matter of having a long term plan. This time last year, I had no credit history. In 5 years I want to start the mortgage application process, so this past year I set a goal of opening a bunch of solid accounts that I could keep open long term and get rewards from. I set out to have a mix of cash back, airline, and hotel cards. So while my AAoA is really weak right now, in 5 years I will have scores that can get me some of the best mortgage rates. The only card I opened knowing I would close it quickly was the Amex Green, since it would create a backdating year for me. Once the free year is up, Green is getting closed.
TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 22 of 69
Simplyjays
New Contributor

youuu the mann! you spoke for many of us includeing me lol

Inquires= 0 as of 3/20/2013 till 4/1/2014
-Amex green NPSL -Discover it 1k -Capital One 1.25k -Walmart 700.00
-JDCU 500.00 -Credit one bank 400.00 (credit builder card =) -Babys R-us 200.00? =(
TU=649
EQ=632 as of 3/20/2013
Message 23 of 69
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I have 10 cards, 5 Bankcards and 5 store cards.

The bankcards I have have CL's under $1K. The store cards I have can easily grow to over $1K in time. The goal is to get 2 or 3 major bankcards with CL's over $1K, and when that happens I'll close the lower limit cards (mainly Capital One and CreditOne...lol)

I started rebuilding around this time last year...I had no recent revolving history whatsoever and had just gotten a $300 CL Household card, and I've gained $3,500+ in credit over a year, which is more than I had when my credit was good back when I was 18-19.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 24 of 69
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@bluedog1 wrote:

I've read that 3-5 is optimal for FICO scoring...more than 6 may actually hurt your score. There are a couple benefits I see from having a lot of cards. If you are just starting out and getting low limits then having a lot of cards can help with utilization. Adding new cards in the future won't hurt your AAoA as much since you have a lot of older accounts to buffer the age.

I know about the 3-4 rule, but how does more than 6 hurt you?  Is it because of the default risk associated with so many?  It doesn't seem to matter so much with those that have them for getting new ones.  I admit I have too many and just enough for what I am doing.  My two sisters have filed bankruptcy so I have some of them loaned out to them.  One sister just has a balance on the account and not the card or number and she simply pays it to me every month.  I get to keep my cash free and she pays interest.  The other simply was overburdened by debt and makes good money, so she actually has the cards.  She uses them and pays on them every month.  I apply the rewards she gets on them to lower her debt on the cards.  (I am training her very well on this benefit.)  Even if she can't pay in full each month I pay it in full for her and I get the money shortly anyway.  (I know she is good for it.)  I reserve the best rewards cards for myself though!

So yeah I also wonder in some way and know that I have more than I need.  I just have a plan which so far has not hurt my score, only improved it.  It keeps the util low, it shows multiple accounts managed well, it signals to others higher limits as I get new cards, and it gets my foot in the door with the best lenders.  If there is a negative aspect it is being offset by the positives.  However, I do plan on closing one account in the near future!  I am about 4 months from doing so if all goes well!  Once I get to about $30K or an Amex card, then Merrick is history.  This will be a sad day in my life as I actually absolutely love them as a company, but the annual fee and security are a bother to me.  I simply wish they would offer upper tier cards and PC me to one of them after all it has been over 5 years I have had that card.  I think I have proven to them my intent.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 25 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

Mainly for sign up bonuses.

During a period of a couple of years, the best way to maximize rewards was use one's spend for sign up bonuses, if one's credit report could withstand it.  Now, that the sign ups are drying up, I'll settle down with around 4 cards.

Don't really see any compelling reason to have more.

Message 26 of 69
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

@bluedog1 wrote:

I've read that 3-5 is optimal for FICO scoring...more than 6 may actually hurt your score. There are a couple benefits I see from having a lot of cards. If you are just starting out and getting low limits then having a lot of cards can help with utilization. Adding new cards in the future won't hurt your AAoA as much since you have a lot of older accounts to buffer the age.

I know about the 3-4 rule, but how does more than 6 hurt you?  Is it because of the default risk associated with so many?

I should have worded it better: having a lot of open tradelines doesn't hurt your score per se but it can come off as having a higher default risk especially if there is a lot of available credit. This is probably irrelevant when applying for credit cards but comes into play when you're trying to get a mortgage.

Message 27 of 69
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@bluedog1 wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

@bluedog1 wrote:

I know about the 3-4 rule, but how does more than 6 hurt you?  Is it because of the default risk associated with so many?

I should have worded it better: having a lot of open tradelines doesn't hurt your score per se but it can come off as having a higher default risk especially if there is a lot of available credit. This is probably irrelevant when applying for credit cards but comes into play when you're trying to get a mortgage.

I will keep that in mind!  I plan on starting the closing process on the worst cards that I have after I get the Amex!  For the time being though I will simply garden what I have!  I have no need for any more cards, I only want the Amex as the reward for getting to top of the mountain!  The trophy of cards so so to speak.  At some point then there must be a new trophy!  (I think I just summed up in some ways the rationale some of us have, a little twist here and there and it makes sense.  Some people see the trophy as just having many.  Others see the trophy in the types of cards.  Some see the trophy as in the affect it has on their score.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 28 of 69
waihao0405
Established Member

i think the more credit account you have mean the more bank is willing to grant you credit.. it is good for ur credit history. i read that story somewhere online..

Message 29 of 69
HiLine
Blogger

@waihao0405 wrote:

i think the more credit account you have mean the more bank is willing to grant you credit.. it is good for ur credit history. i read that story somewhere online..

Only up to a certain point. If you have too many cards with too much available credit that will raise a red flag.

Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.