Not applicable

Re: Why so many credit cards? What is the benefit

I do it just to have them.

I like High Credit limits for severe emrgencies though

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another reason I keep accounts with different banks is to protect myself against the credit market freezing again. If I already have established cards, I won't have to apply for new ones and can just utilize the ones I have.

Message 12 of 44
IWOL
Established Contributor

I just wanted to add that one benfit of having a lot of accounts is that it builds a  thick file.

After the accounts have aged a few years, if you add additional cards or loans they will have minimal impact on your AAoA. If you have only 2 or 3 cards and you add 2 new ones 5 years later that can really zap your AAoA.

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because I can
Message 14 of 44
Open123
Super Contributor

Ah, mainly becuase (1) benefits, (2) rewards, and (3) it's fun!

Message 15 of 44
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have 26 credit cards, which is a lot more than most people i know. I have zero problems using my cards enough to keep them active and reep benefits. But a lot of people get flustered having to keep all of that organized, i oddly enjoy it. But i think the reason i have so many cards, like others have said... Is because i can Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like it! Do what you want in life!

@Anonymous wrote:
Because I can

Message 17 of 44
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

I'm curious to know how you people with so many credit cards manage to have super high credit scores. My scores are great, utilization is optimal, AAofA is almost 9 years (thanks in part to super old student loans that won't be paid off for ages). I have 8 credit cards, around $80K CL total, and would love to get up to $100K and take advantage of some app bonuses, but am living in fear of tanking my score.

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone...Very interesting responses....

My favorite responses

1. Because I can

2. For emergencies

3. In an event of credit freeze due to a downturn in the economy

Here is why I would do it.  I would think that it would help my utlization but what do I know, I am just trying to paydown and keep my utilization low with the hopes that my score will continue to rise.

Message 19 of 44
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@lolabelle wrote:
I'm curious to know how you people with so many credit cards manage to have super high credit scores. My scores are great, utilization is optimal, AAofA is almost 9 years (thanks in part to super old student loans that won't be paid off for ages). I have 8 credit cards, around $80K CL total, and would love to get up to $100K and take advantage of some app bonuses, but am living in fear of tanking my score.

If you look, some with many many CC's don't have super high credit scores. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.