Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why store-specific cards ?

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Why store-specific cards ?

I currently have all the big-name cards (Visa/MC/Disc/AmEx), but I do not have any store-specific cards.

My question is: What is the point in carrying a card that can only be used at one store/chain - especially since those same stores also accept the major network cards?

I have read somewhere, that having a store-specific card might help with the "Mix of Credit Types", which accounts for 10% of the FICO score, but why would one "revolving" account be considered any different than another for scoring purposes ?

Since store cards typically offer low-limits and high APRs, is it actually worth the hard-pull to apply for one ?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: Why store-specific cards ?

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

I currently have all the big-name cards (Visa/MC/Disc/AmEx), but I do not have any store-specific cards.

My question is: What is the point in carrying a card that can only be used at one store/chain - especially since those same stores also accept the major network cards?

I have read somewhere, that having a store-specific card might help with the "Mix of Credit Types", which accounts for 10% of the FICO score, but why would one "revolving" account be considered any different than another for scoring purposes ?

Since store cards typically offer low-limits and high APRs, is it actually worth the hard-pull to apply for one ?

If you shop at a specific store heavily (Like I do Gordman's) you will get 10, 20, even 30% off coupons frequently. Other chains that have larger priced items (Best Buy, Nebraska Furniture Mart, etc) frequently offer special interest offers, so buying a large ticket item is cheaper financing since you don't have to pay interest for a certain amount of time.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 2 of 8
Raiders1
Valued Member

Other than the discount coupons and the special interest they offer, which I don't really take advantage of, I used them as a way to build credit. When I started rebuilding and no one else gave me unsecured credit, Walmart did. I started with a CL of $150 which has now grown to $1700. Once you're credit is good enough to get regular unsecured credit cards there really is no need for store cards. I have no reason to apply for any store cards, I just keep the Walmart card, because they don't charge an AF anyway. Store cards are still revolving credit so they don't change your "mix of credit types".

Starting Scores:
EQ FICO 648 - TU08 598 - EX FAKO 544 (1/2012)
Current Scores: EQ 703 - TU 767 - EX 750
In My Wallet: AMEX BCE ($22.5K), Discover It ($10K), USAA World MC ($9K), Chase Freedom ($8K), Fidelity Rewards ($5K), Citi Double Cash ($4.5K) Walmart ($4.5K),
Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Special deals only store card holders can get and you need a few for the mix of credit category of FICO

Message 4 of 8
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

@Raiders1 wrote:

Other than the discount coupons and the special interest they offer, which I don't really take advantage of, I used them as a way to build credit. When I started rebuilding and no one else gave me unsecured credit, Walmart did. I started with a CL of $150 which has now grown to $1700. Once you're credit is good enough to get regular unsecured credit cards there really is no need for store cards. I have no reason to apply for any store cards, I just keep the Walmart card, because they don't charge an AF anyway. Store cards are still revolving credit so they don't change your "mix of credit types".

+1 to this. I imagine this is the number one reason people get store cards. Best Buy was one of my first cards, I got it when nobody else would bat an eye at me

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 5 of 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

+1 they are a great way to build credit considering the CL increases are great

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 8
spambait
Established Member

tattooedhusker is right -- deals, extra sales, coupons, etc.  For instance, the Target card gets you 5% off everything every time you shop.

but beyond those cases, there's really not much point.  I got a Sears card ages ago because getting it meant i got free delivery on my fridge.  But they canceled it years ago for non-use.  Macy's, same deal when I bought some furniture.  Haven't used it in years, but they keep it open.  Both Macy's & JCPenney have special offers that are only for cardholders.

my current rule of thumb: unless i can get something worth $100 out of opening it, I won't bother with a store card.

Message 7 of 8
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

I keep the Walmart card around because they run 12-24 month 0% APR offers throughout the year.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.