Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont amex remove my spending limit?

tag
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Why wont amex remove my spending limit?

So I have been on average charging about 10-15k a month and paying off on my amex card for the past 6 months (business expenses) I have been a member since 09, never missed a payment,  They limited me to 17,900 back in 2011 when I had piticulary high balances accross the board. I submitted for a limit increase last week at three times the limit and was approved finally after they received my tax records and edward jones statements, giving me a spendling limit of 53,700. Which while nice, I dont understand why they dont just put me back to NPSL. ITs not really a big deal, just more a pride thing. Any idea why once they set a limit they never remove it? They also refuse to raise my 2k limit on my hilton honers card stating that I have had to many inquries in the last 12 months, which while valid, I would expect my income alone to make up for it, I only got it to get the points bonus, so I dont use it, But just feel they are being stingy with me, when the rest of my cards are all seeing automatic limit increases.  Latest pull today showed 705 CR, I just recently applied for a mortgage, but also want to stop using my amex platinum for business purchases and I want to be sure im ok so I can take advantage of the 50k points bonus for the business Amex gold card, and not get slapped with a limit on that. On a company application I can claim way higher income and even higher revenu, but I know that they look heavly at personal credit for business cards.  But amex looks at your history with them as well as your CR, and I dont want the fact that they wont up my hilton limit, and that they have limited my platinum be a negitive on the business application.  Thoughts? 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Why wont amex remove my spending limit?

Not sure that their refusal to up the limit on your personal hilton card will create a problem with your business card CL. Business cards have different underwriting standards and less protections under the law. As such if your business income is enough to justify the limit I don't think you will have a problem. You may want to ask in the business credit forum for people who have had similar experiences with amex. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.