cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would American Express send me a letter regarding their Green charge card?

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Why would American Express send me a letter regarding their Green charge card?

Only First Premier and Credit One have sent me pre approvals. I don't know why American Express sent me an offer for their Green card outta the blue. Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why would American Express send me a letter regarding their Green charge card?

It's all in marketing solicitations, nothing special.  All lenders usually obtain information for any possible prospective customers.  At the end of the day, it's all subject to credit approval should you decide to take the bait (fine print).

Message 2 of 6
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Re: Why would American Express send me a letter regarding their Green charge card?

@FinStar wrote:

It's all in marketing solicitations, nothing special.  All lenders usually obtain information for any possible prospective customers.  At the end of the day, it's all subject to credit approval should you decide to take the bait (fine print).

Someone else told me I should take the offer. I personally don't think it's worth it. Don't want anymore cards with fees on them and I don't need any AE cards. 

Message 3 of 6
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

+1  understand your credit profile before deciding to jump at marketing offers regardless of where they come from.  Lenders have their own criteria to whom they issue credit.  Case in point, my profile was improving and Citi mailed me an offer for the Citi Dividend and I held on to it right up to the expiration date.  Well, when I applied Citi told me to kick rocks and that is with only 3-5 INQs and 720 EX score.  I apparently haven't met their criteria yet but that's okay.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

+1  understand your credit profile before deciding to jump at marketing offers regardless of where they come from.  Lenders have their own criteria to whom they issue credit.  Case in point, my profile was improving and Citi mailed me an offer for the Citi Dividend and I held on to it right up to the expiration date.  Well, when I applied Citi told me to kick rocks and that is with only 3-5 INQs and 720 EX score.  I apparently haven't met their criteria yet but that's okay.

+2

Exactly.

Message 5 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

it may be time to think about a AMEX charge card if your EX fico is 650 or higher and 6 month exprience with a credit card and your UTL is less than 20% and good income. its a good move to get your Membership Year set, if you decide to apply it would be best to try for the AMEX PRG (preferred reward gold) AF waived for the first year, and good rewards, if it fails your INQ will be 4 months old should you proceed with your March 2014 departure from the garden.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.