cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone get an Amex Platinum?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Why would anyone get an Amex Platinum?

@Open123 wrote:

If I were taking a trip now, here's what I would do:

1.  Apply for a MB Platinum for 50K sign up bonus.

2.  $200 airline credit per calendar year - can use it for 2013, and again for 2014 before I cancel in July for $400 total.

3.  Free global entry, which is good for 5 years.

4.  Elite membership in Avis, National, and Hertz.

5.  SPG Gold status - which otherwise requires 10 stays or $30K spend.

6.  $100 hotel credit

So, purely from a quantitative perspective, for a $475 annual fee, one receives the following:  50K MR points; $400 airline credit; $100 Global entry fee; and, $100 hotel credit.

So, why?  If nothing else, for material gain?

I do see an obsession with the MB Plat AMEX Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

If I were taking a trip now, here's what I would do:

1.  Apply for a MB Platinum for 50K sign up bonus.

2.  $200 airline credit per calendar year - can use it for 2013, and again for 2014 before I cancel in July for $400 total.

3.  Free global entry, which is good for 5 years.

4.  Elite membership in Avis, National, and Hertz.

5.  SPG Gold status - which otherwise requires 10 stays or $30K spend.

6.  $100 hotel credit

So, purely from a quantitative perspective, for a $475 annual fee, one receives the following:  50K MR points; $400 airline credit; $100 Global entry fee; and, $100 hotel credit.

So, why?  If nothing else, for material gain?

I do see an obsession with the MB Plat AMEX Smiley Happy

LOL...you know, I can't help it my mercenary side.  I just love great deals!

Message 22 of 25
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@kilj0y wrote:

I am active duty military so annual fees are waived for me. Thats why I want one.

Permanently or for deplyometn purposes. Wonder what they do for reservists who are on active status.

From reading a few forums, its under the SCRA and it's for the life of the card, not sure how it applies for reservists but you can call in and find out.

Message 23 of 25
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

For me it's the exceptionally high spend ability. Way above the CLs on my regular cards and has never involved a decline, verification that it's me making the charge, or other annoyances that are common in the plastic world. A secondary reason is the broad airport lounge access. The MRs are nice I suppose but I've never even used them.

Added: Also, it doesn't affect my credit scores when I put a big charge on the card. I used to prepay when doing that with other cards.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 24 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

$400 annual fee, NOT waived for the first year. Most of the benefits are same as PRG.

Why would anyone do that?

You're overlooking a lot.  Even so, if it's not for you then why does it matter?  No card (nothing in life for that matter) is one-size-fits-all.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.