Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 201
Registered: ‎02-22-2012
0

Wifes CC limit...

My wife recently got a Citi Diamond Preferred card and signed up with me as an authorized user. My understanding is that they do not take my credit history into account since I am simply an authorized user. Is there any way to get a higher limit by taking my scores into account, which are lower than mine?

Current Score: FICO EQ637-TU690-EX704
Wallet: Cap One Rew. $3500, Cap One Plat. $2000, Barclay $3000, Old Navy Visa $2500, HSBC $1500, Credit One $1800, BoA $3000, Chase Freedom $1500, Wal-Mart Discover $2000, Amazon $3100, Lowes $2000, Kay's $7000
Established Contributor
Posts: 665
Registered: ‎11-13-2012
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...

Only if you had applied as a joint credit card I believe
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,469
Registered: ‎08-30-2012
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...

you would have to apply as a joint owner on the account.


Starting Score: EQ 511 TU 552 EX 545 8/29/2012
Current Score: TU 712|EQ 695|EXP 723 (FICO)
What's in my wallet? Cap1 PLAT AU $4.25k; Cap1 QS AU $2k; NFCU Siggy $45k; $5k WalMart MC; CFNA Firestone $1.8k; Amazon $3k; NFCU Cash Rewards $22K; AMEX BCE $21k; NavCheck $15k; Lowe's $10k; Citi DP $7.7k; AMEX ED $8.5k; Chase Freedom $4.5k
Goal Score: 700 across the board.
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Journey
Regular Contributor
Posts: 201
Registered: ‎02-22-2012
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...

Can I be added as a joint owner if I wasn't? Or maybe I already am. Her scores are in the low 600s. Not sure how picky they are about this card.

Current Score: FICO EQ637-TU690-EX704
Wallet: Cap One Rew. $3500, Cap One Plat. $2000, Barclay $3000, Old Navy Visa $2500, HSBC $1500, Credit One $1800, BoA $3000, Chase Freedom $1500, Wal-Mart Discover $2000, Amazon $3100, Lowes $2000, Kay's $7000
Established Contributor
Posts: 665
Registered: ‎11-13-2012
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...

I don't know if it's true but it may require a new application to do that
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Valued Contributor
Posts: 7,035
Registered: ‎10-21-2012
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...


colindidit wrote:
I don't know if it's true but it may require a new application to do that

+1

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
Posts: 26,659
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...


FinStar wrote:

colindidit wrote:
I don't know if it's true but it may require a new application to do that

+1


Correct it would mean applying as a new app

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13


Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,721
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...


KeithW wrote:

My wife recently got a Citi Diamond Preferred card and signed up with me as an authorized user. My understanding is that they do not take my credit history into account since I am simply an authorized user. Is there any way to get a higher limit by taking my scores into account, which are lower than mine?


99% sure Citi is one of the banks that got burned SO many times on Joint account tricks that they no longer offer joint accounts for the regular citi cards... Some of the furniture store or such cards "may" still offer joint options but not the Citi Diamond in this case.  Also in the past even when Joint, it did not help with CLI and such.

Fico Scores: EQ- 662 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (1/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,063
Registered: ‎03-16-2013
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...


Creditaddict wrote:

KeithW wrote:

My wife recently got a Citi Diamond Preferred card and signed up with me as an authorized user. My understanding is that they do not take my credit history into account since I am simply an authorized user. Is there any way to get a higher limit by taking my scores into account, which are lower than mine?


99% sure Citi is one of the banks that got burned SO many times on Joint account tricks that they no longer offer joint accounts for the regular citi cards... Some of the furniture store or such cards "may" still offer joint options but not the Citi Diamond in this case.  Also in the past even when Joint, it did not help with CLI and such.


What is the Joint Account Tricks?

Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,721
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Wifes CC limit...

In the past with many banks you could get a credit card with someone with good credit.... add a joint account holder (no pull was done) then wait about 3 months and request to remove a joint account holder... they would send a form and request to remove the user that originally opened the account and for many years and many banks they would remove a joint user again without pulling credit... so basically someone that wouldn't have even qualified for a $500 limit or may have been blacklisted from a bank was able to walk away with an account with maybe $10k+ credit line!

Chase started pulling credit of both users when an account was requested to unjoint but for much time you could still add a joint user with no pull but now they have stopped adding joint.

Citi stopped it all together... they had the largest loop hole that I knew... you could add and remove with no pulls of the added or during removal.

Nordstrom use to allow it... not sure anymore.

Discover currently allows adding joint but not sure about removing.

 

Fico Scores: EQ- 662 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (1/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.