cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildly different FICO scores

tag
ktb3987

Wildly different FICO scores

I paid for all three of my FICO scores yesterday because it's been a while since I've checked. EX: 573; EQ: 563; TU: 664

EQ and TU are more than 100 points apart! After some investigation I realized that an old American Eagle card that my mom had me open almost a decade ago that I've never had a balance on has drastically affected my TU score by adding both seven years of history and a $500 CL to my credit history that are not being reported to the other bureaus. Additionally, my auto loan that I took out over two years ago only reports to Equifax (my lowest score despite the age of the account and that I've never missed a payment or paid late).

I have a Cap One card that I was approved for three or four years ago with a $500 CL. I maxed the card out and unfortunately had 120+ days late payments that caused my account to become restricted. I paid the card off and though it remains restricted, it reports to all three bureaus as an open account with a $500 CL.

I got a preapproved mail offer for Merrick Bank seven or eight months ago and decided to apply. I was approved with a $700 CL. I've been responsible with the card, usually paying my balance in full every month however right now my utilization is higher than normal but certainly not maxed out. I want to apply for another credit card but I think it's going to be a gamble considering two of my scores are pretty bad and my TU score is just recently average. I have my eye on the Barclays Rewards card for average credit as I've read that Barclays consistently pulls TU and if I stand a chance at getting a card that isn't secured or a rebuilder, it's going to be with a TU pull. The only stipulation really is that before I received my Merrick Bank offer in the mail, I applied for the Barclays Apple financing credit card and was denied. I called the back door number like everyone suggested but was denied still due to the fact that though I had paid my Cap One card off by then, the 120+ days late payments were still an open wound on my credit report. So I feel like I might be on their radar.

Do you think applying for this card is a good idea? It's been about a year or a little less since I applied for the Barclays Apple card. I have zero debt, I make my auto loan payments on time every month, I have no late payments on my only current credit card, I have a decent income, and I'm pretty focused now on improving my credit because I'm 26 years old and considering the next five to ten years is likely my window of opportunity for buying my first home, etc., I don't want to do more harm than good as fixing credit-related mistakes seems to be no overnight fix. Any insight on now I should navigate the issue of improving my credit with two bad scores and one barely-decent one?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Wildly different FICO scores

Message 2 of 17
ktb3987

Yep, it's been over a year since I paid the Cap One card off.
Message 3 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If its been a year and your util is low, You could give it a try. Barclays does recon.
Message 4 of 17
tcbofade
Super Contributor

If building your score is the goal, I agree with your TU only focus, but wouldn't go near Barclays for a while yet.

How do you feel about Walmart?  Free TU08 score with paperless billing, and the credit limit can grow very quickly...they are TU pullers as well...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 5 of 17
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Your tu isnt bad...just like lexie asked, how recent is you lates? And i agree hitting up a cc that pulls tu is best...but depends also on whats on your tu reports...keep in mind also that merrick offers free tu 08 score if you do paperless statement...ge cards such as walmart or paypal might be an option...but you have to bring your util down before apping...also work on fixing your other 2 crs...gl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 17
ktb3987

My TU report contains my oldest account history and my most recent account history. The only account it doesn't reflect is my only installment loan (car) which seems to be the largest factor contributing to my low EQ score for whatever mysterious reason. I will definitely look in to Wal-Mart/Paypal cards if they're TU pullers.

It may also be worth mentioning that when I called Barclays recon and was denied, they did tell me that I should re-apply in a year or so after my old Cap One mega-late payments had some time to drown in new better habits. It's been about a year. Maybe I should do some digging to figure out exactly when I made that call and it may be worth it to wait and apply for Barclays again. A rewards card would be nice and make the process of establishing better credit seem less painful.
Message 7 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

GE offers a PayPal MC, rewards are meh but the CLI are SP's and grow
Message 8 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Good luck with Walmart/discover ,I don't want to be an Debbie downer but Walmart doesn't pull same tu fico as one you get here. I learned that hard way.my myfico tu and Walmart tu differ by over 100 points . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.