Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AMEX cancel my account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will AMEX cancel my account?

I have an AMEX premiere rewards gold and am thinking about canceling it (and just using my Bank of America travel card) before the annual fee hits. 

Ever since I got my BOA card, I have rarely been using my PRG. I haven't used it in three months. 

Does AMEX cancel accounts randomly if they don't see any activity on your account? Should I at least put one or two purchases on it a month? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Will AMEX cancel my account?

Probably not (and you certainly don't need multiple charges per month).   I would expect they keep it open in case you will pay the AF 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do plan on keeping my foot in the door with them.. I just don't use my PRG card at all anymore. 

Message 3 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Probably not (and you certainly don't need multiple charges per month).   I would expect they keep it open in case you will pay the AF 

+1

Message 4 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1 The last few months the amount I have put on my PRG has dropped a lot. Mostly because I have other cards with cat spending that meet my needs. I wouldn't be concerned since its an AF card and I can't see them closing a card that you paid for or may pay for to renew. Would be a silly thing for them to do, since the AF would offset the cost of them keeping the account over.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Say for example i want to keep my foot in the door with AMEX, yet I don't want to pay the annual fee for my PRG? 

Message 6 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

Then cancel the prg and apply for a card without a annual fee. everyday card will work. just make sure you use it once in a while . even for a starbucks. thats not so hard. all about relationships.

Message 7 of 13
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Then cancel the prg and apply for a card without a annual fee. everyday card will work. just make sure you use it once in a while . even for a starbucks. thats not so hard. all about relationships.

This. Get an Everday card and transfer all the MR points you've collected on your PRG to your ED. Then close the PRG before the AF hits. 

Message 8 of 13
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Starbucks will fix it. Heart

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 9 of 13
CoreyGSHS
New Contributor

I am almost in the same boat as you are except I put a few purchases through my AMEX every month. I know I am going to end up canceling the card before the AF hits in Dec 2016 if I don't feel like the card has provided any benefit to me enough to pay $175. 

I'm going to recommend what other FICOers are saying (I am going to do it myself personally) and apply for the BCE card, just so you can still have your foot in the door with American Express and have one of their cards in your wallet. 

I want to say for some reason I am having a flashback when I was reading the terms and conditions of the PRG and it stated if there is any inactivity for 18 months, they can close it. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.