cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AMEX refund annual fee within 60 days?

tag
wiivile
New Contributor

Will AMEX refund annual fee within 60 days?

I've heard mixed reports on this, but I finally found an AMEX rep who confirmed it, and I took a screenshot of it so I could 'get it in writing'. My annual fee for my Platinum was billed on December 27, and I'm looking to cancel it in February. According to this, it looks like I will have until February 25 to get a full refund (rather than being prorated). Has anyone else had experiences with this?

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will AMEX refund annual fee within 60 days?

All I have heard is that they will refund within 60 days. Not much to the contrary. What do you need to do in Feb to cancel so late?

Message 2 of 42
wiivile
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All I have heard is that they will refund within 60 days. Not much to the contrary. What do you need to do in Feb to cancel so late?

I'm waiting for 104,000 pending points to become available, and they will only become available in February. Also, I'm going to Brazil in February and would like to be able to access the Priority Pass lounges in Rio and Sao Paulo, so I'll cancel when I get back.

Message 3 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're waiting for your 100K Plat sign up bonus to post before you cancel your account and request the AF refunded, this is a sure-fire way of getting Blacklisted with a creditor.

Message 4 of 42
wiivile
New Contributor

They won't blacklist me over a single card, I have other cards with them that I've had open. I just want to know if AMEX regularly honors the 60 day period for getting a full AF refund.

Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wiivile wrote:

They won't blacklist me over a single card, I have other cards with them that I've had open. I just want to know if AMEX regularly honors the 60 day period for getting a full AF refund.

I think they decide this more so by how profitable you are as a customer rather than how many cards you have. If you erased all the profit they made (and probably then some) from other cards by redeeming a $1k bonus, I don't think they would care how many cards you have. In general, creditors don't like abusive behavior which this definitely is.

Message 6 of 42
elim
Senior Contributor

Curious... When did you open the card?

Message 7 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

I think they decide this more so by how profitable you are as a customer rather than how many cards you have. If you erased all the profit they made (and probably then some) from other cards by redeeming a $1k bonus, I don't think they would care how many cards you have. In general, creditors don't like abusive behavior which this definitely is.

IME Amex is fairly forgiving of things like this (as compared to say charge offs)   I doubt that they will close open cards over it.  So "sure-fire" is, IMO, far too strong.

Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

IME Amex is fairly forgiving of things like this (as compared to say charge offs)   I doubt that they will close open cards over it.  So "sure-fire" is, IMO, far too strong.

I'm not saying they will close anything, they just won't issue any new accounts. I also assumed that this was his only AMEX when I said "sure-fire."

Message 9 of 42
wiivile
New Contributor

If it was my only

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

I'm not saying they will close anything, they just won't issue any new accounts. I also assumed that this was his only AMEX when I said "sure-fire."

If it was my only AMEX, why would I close the account with 100,000+ points?! I have other MR cards.

Anyway, I don't think AMEX will take any negative action over closing a single account after receiving the signup bonus. (If it became a regular pattern of behavior, sure).

My question though is still the same- has anyone had any experience where AMEX WOULDN'T refund the full AF within 60 days of it being billed?

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.