cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Alliant Credit Union Accept My Application or Should I Wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Alliant Credit Union Accept My Application or Should I Wait?

I joined the PTA so am part of a member aproved organization.

Equifax score was 802 on May 4th.

only 4 accounts showing, 3 are closed, open account is Macs which was opened last august

Oldest account is 11 years 8 months. Average age of accounts is 7 years.

2 inquiries show from

October 09, 2008 First Usa

June 20, 2008 Cap One

No derogs.

I want to make sure I have a high chance of being accepted if I am going to waste a hard inquiry.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Re: Will Alliant Credit Union Accept My Application or Should I Wait?

As long as you dont have any cheqsystems  stuff (name might be wrong) . I dont see any reason for you not to be accepted. Are you just trying to join them or are you looking for a credit card or other loans?

But regardless I think you are a shoe in and should (as long as the webpage works and they are able to identify you ) get pre approved offers . My credit isnt quite as good as yours . I had a good amount of new accounts and inquiries and they approved me for a savings and pre approved for a 5k visa and a 15k car loan . 

I say go for it . If you dont get any pre approvals . Get the sig card in asap and call them about the other products. They seem to be very willing to give credit and are easy to work with. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I was mostly looking to join so I could get a Credit Card with them.

I was trying to decide between applying to them so I could get a card, or trying to get the Charles Schwab Visa.

But it looks like Alliant has been issuing higher limits, plus the Schwab card Ive heard doesnt report your credit limit, which I think might mess with my utilization.

The main reason I want a credit card at this particular point is I am going to Europe for a week this summer and would like to have one. The alliant cards charge 1% international transaction fees, and the Schwab doesnt charge any. But 1% isnt bad. Thats only $10 on $1000 spent.  

Message 3 of 12
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

When I apped to Alliant it was immediately after (5 min.), I joined the Nat. PTA.  Don't know if they verify the PTA membership but I DO know the hassels you might have with ChexSystems.  While I have nothing derrogetory with them, my addy came back as a motel so I got no instant approvals and had to prove my residence before my application for a savings acct. was approved.

But don't hesitate to app immedietely after joining NPTA.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the chexsystem site and tried to order a copy of my chexsystem report. Do they mail it to your house or soemthing? Why doesnt it come up immediatly?
Message 5 of 12
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

It's by mail only, I think.  I remember trying to get it online but they had to mail it to me.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
athensguy
Valued Contributor

App for both Schwab and Alliant.

Schwab won't hurt util. It just doesn't count in util at all. It only counts in the number of accounts with balances if you're showing one and it's included in the age calculation. For me, the Schwab card app resulted in an EX pull, and then Schwab did a soft pull to open the Schwab One account.

I intend to app for Alliant after my score gets back up, which shouldn't take too long.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I dont want to App to both for 2 reason. #1 is I do not want to have the 2 hard inquiries and 2 new accounts open. Secondly 2 new accounts will I think adversly affect my average age of accounts too much. With only 4 accounts on my report, 1 new account would bring my average age from 7 down to 5.6. 2 new accounts would bring it down to 4.6 years.

Now 5.6 years isnt too bad since it wouldnt take long to get back tothe 6 year mark, but having an average age of 4.6 years will negatively affect my credit too long, especially since I would like to purchase a home before that $8,000 tax credit disappears towards the end of this year.

Message 8 of 12
athensguy
Valued Contributor

If you're applying for a mortgage this year, then you shouldn't app for anything before then.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to have a credit card though before I go to Europe. I cant just take cash with me and hope I do not run out.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.