Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex Close Acct For Too Many Inqs?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Will Amex Close Acct For Too Many Inqs?

Hi all,

So I got my very first Amex (Everyday) on 11/20/2014 and then got approved on 11/24/2014 for Amex Green, two separate inquiries.

After my Everyday approval, I went for the BOA card and got approved too, so in between the two Amex inqs., Bank of America showed up as well. 

Since 11/20/2014, I requested a CLI for my Carecredit account for dental work and it was a HP, and I also apped for a Citibank card right after.

I saw that on 12/06/2014 that Amex SPed my Experian report, with the two new inquiries AFTER their two inquiries showing. 

I'm kind of scared that Amex will pull a Barclay type thing and close my account because of this; I don't plan on applying for anything else, I am in the garden.

I already charged $1,200 on my Amex but paid it off in full. 

Do any of you think I should worry about the new inqs and Amex SPing and seeing them? BTW, I got approved for the Amex with 19 inqs on my Ex report (I know, I was crazy last April, and learned my lesson).

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Will Amex Close Acct For Too Many Inqs?

As long as you pay on time, your fine
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Amex will SP you when your EX shows activity ie inqs, new accts, collections etc. 

Message 3 of 26
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

I see, that makes sense... so do you think I should be worried because of the "new activity" (inqs)? I don't want to lose my accounts... 

I guess I'm just being paranoid, because when I started rebuilding 2+years ago, my ultimate credit goal was to have an American Express card.. and now that I do, it's like WHOA, LOL. 

Message 4 of 26
Chris679
Established Contributor

No you should not be worried, yes you are being paranoid. When you hear about accounts closed due to inquiries you aren't hearing the whole story. Kind of like the guy who was fired because he was "five minutes late one time."
Message 5 of 26
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I think you're overreacting and that you have nothing to worry about. I have more inquiries than that on my EX report right now (they'll be 27 at the end of the month because one of them is falling off) and haven't had any problems with getting CLIs or new cards from Amex at all. Other than the inquiries on that report (I don't have nearly as many on TU or EQ), I have very clean payment history and no baddies. Just be sure that you're keeping the accounts in good standing, making more than minimum payment, all that stuff and you should be fine. I was worried about that with Barclays for a while and despite getting some new accounts since then, they have not closed my account at all.

The fact is that a lot of the times if you really want the best cards, you're gonna have to take a chance with an inqury sometime.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jon85 wrote:

Hi all,

So I got my very first Amex (Everyday) on 11/20/2014 and then got approved on 11/24/2014 for Amex Green, two separate inquiries.

After my Everyday approval, I went for the BOA card and got approved too, so in between the two Amex inqs., Bank of America showed up as well. 

Since 11/20/2014, I requested a CLI for my Carecredit account for dental work and it was a HP, and I also apped for a Citibank card right after.

I saw that on 12/06/2014 that Amex SPed my Experian report, with the two new inquiries AFTER their two inquiries showing. 

I'm kind of scared that Amex will pull a Barclay type thing and close my account because of this; I don't plan on applying for anything else, I am in the garden.

I already charged $1,200 on my Amex but paid it off in full. 

Do any of you think I should worry about the new inqs and Amex SPing and seeing them? BTW, I got approved for the Amex with 19 inqs on my Ex report (I know, I was crazy last April, and learned my lesson).

DO NOT APPLY FOR ANYTHING ELSE until you do your  AMEX 3x CLI.  Those inquiry may be a red flag hence denial as they consider that when you asking for an increase in credit line.

Message 7 of 26
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all so much for the responses!!

Yesi, thanks for the tip... Definitely NOT applying to anything else!

You guys put my mind at ease :-)
Message 8 of 26
taxi818
Super Contributor

instead of being paranoid. did you ever think they may be pulling your report as the 61 day 3x cli information??? in most cases when they see all those inquiries. you can be waiting on you increase. but they will not close or do AA unless your are getting crazy. 20 inqs??

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure they will if you get over 100 inquiries in less than a month. But such number is unrealistic.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.