cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex FICO update with reports frozen?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Amex FICO update with reports frozen?

...at the end, should have read 'I HAVEN'T posted a lot'

Message 11 of 17
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I used to have the same problem of not being able to lock / unlock my EQ file. Ever since I enrolled in their Lock and Alert program I havnt had a problem.

The 'excuss' I used to get for the lock / unlock problem was that there was some sort of address mismatch? When this would happen and if my file was locked, CCT and Credit Karma couldnt pull my EQ file at all.

Try the Lock and Alert program if you can

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 12 of 17
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Forgot to mention, there are 2 ways to control your EQ file. A Credit Freeze or  File Lock. I do not know the difference but you have to be careful when asking the CSR to open up your file because they might get confused

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, as others have stated it will still update monthly. The only lender I have that won't update monthly, is Discover; and it isn't because of my frozen scores it's because they are in the dog house and I am not using them until I get a CLI Smiley Very Happy

No usage = No free fico score for me (even though I know they have it GRR! Smiley Mad)

@j615wrote:
Will Amex’s free FICO continue to update monthly if reports are on ice?

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wirelessbiz

Have you ever obtained hard copies of your actual credit reports from sites like annualcreditreport.com?  If you did and you looked at your Experian file; in the section titled "Inquiries shared only with you" which is essentially your history of soft pulls, you will see that American Express does soft pulls and your credit report will show the specific dates those pulls were done.

Here's one example from my 2017 Experian credit report.  You can see that Amex requested/soft pulled my credit report on 11/09/2017 even though I did not have any applications, CLI requests, etc. with them around that time.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 7.28.41 AM.png

Plus the EX FICO 8 score shown in my online Amex account updates roughly two or three times each month.  That would not be possible if Amex were only relying on a once monthly update provided to them by Experian.

Perhaps the distinction should be made between the lending/underwriting departments and the website/marketing department.  In my experience, the scores used by the lending/underwriting departments always lag the scores on the website by about a month so its plausible they do not soft pull; but the people running and updating the website definitely soft pull.

Message 15 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@j615wrote:
Thanks. Ever since I froze my reports since the Equifax situation, Amex shows that it updates each month, but my score has been static which made me wonder. Good to know it’ll still update. I guess my score just really hasn’t changed recently.

Same with WF and Citi. Scores have not moved. But don’t really care with these as they’re not FICO 8.

While it's not a generic EQ FICO 08 score, Citi does provide an EQ FICO 08 score - it's just the Bankcard Enhanced variety.

@Citigroup, Inc. wrote:
Your FICO® Score is calculated based on data from Equifax using the FICO® Bankcard Score 8 model and is the same score we use, among other information, to manage your account. This model has a FICO® Score range from 250 through 900.

Also, +1 on the Amex soft pull.  They pull me several times a month.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriositywrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I no longer see my Citi score as Eq is froze but is Pita to unfreeze and is the bane of my existanceSmiley Wink Cant view my Fico 9 from Navy either. Penfed doesnt e en want to post my Fico9 , so to Equihack i say, go uber your inner BarclaysSmiley Wink

Strange you are having issues with PenFed/Navy/Citi as they are all EQ..  My scores posts just fine and have a perma freeze on EQ whether I want one or not (my files is all hosed with EQ and they can't seem to get it right after months of complaints by CFPB, hours of calls, etc..). Look them up incompetence or many other words close to the same meaning in the dictionary and you will see a link to Equifax.

CC ... you hit the credit bureau on the head ... incompetence Smiley Mad Sad you had to do what you did! Unrelated to the data breach ... they were not capable before and their leadership should all see the light at the end of a tunnel and tumble into the never land Man Mad

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.