Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex change their no upgrading from Zync policy

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Will Amex change their no upgrading from Zync policy

One of the things that made Zync different from Amex's other 4 tiers of charge card is that with a Green, Gold, PR Gold, or Platinum, you could freely upgrade or downgrade your account from one level to another.  From what I understand Zync was not (and is not) eligible for such an upgrade; if you have a Zync and you want, say, a Gold, you have to open a second account.

Now that the Zync is discontinued, do you think Amex will change that policy?  I'm sure they'd rather move their current Zync customers to their current lineup of cards, and it seems to me that it would be much easier to do this by upgrading the cards rather than requiring customers to apply for new ones. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Will Amex change their no upgrading from Zync policy

Most likely scenario is to allow Zync cardholders to keep the account and perate it for awhile, while slowly encouraging them to product change. I don't think that they can force you onto a higher AF card.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 2 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@espnjunkie wrote:

Most likely scenario is to allow Zync cardholders to keep the account and perate it for awhile, while slowly encouraging them to product change. I don't think that they can force you onto a higher AF card.

I also don't think there's any requirement they keep the accounts open either.

I don't think they're going to close all of them unilaterally, and I agree with you that they will quietly encourage us to switch to something else (may be a complete new application, backdating minimizes the AAoA penalty at least), before closing them, but I'm not entirely sure they have to let us keep the card either.

Maybe they will let us product change at some point, as that was just a policy decision anyway.  Just no way to tell which way they're going to jump as it's unknown why they discontinued the Zync in the first place.  Waiting till I see some sort of announcement I guess.

        
Message 3 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Well I guess there is something in their card agreements, which would enable them to cancel the cards. But at the end of the day, they also want to do business. So at least if you use the card, they will offer us something (I hope).

But on the other side, if someone has a $500 limit and only spends about $100/months or so, they may not be interested in keeping this business ...

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 4 of 17
learnin113
Established Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:

One of the things that made Zync different from Amex's other 4 tiers of charge card is that with a Green, Gold, PR Gold, or Platinum, you could freely upgrade or downgrade your account from one level to another.  From what I understand Zync was not (and is not) eligible for such an upgrade; if you have a Zync and you want, say, a Gold, you have to open a second account.

I'm sorry, can you provide where you got this information from.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

This was posted today on Flyer Talk by an Amex Rep:

Good Morning All,

I have just found this thread and wanted to let you know that we have not received word that the Zync Card is being discontinued. We have reached out to our Technologies Team and advised them of the issues online and they are looking into why you can not access it online. If you are having issues with the Packs, please let me know via email at: http://aexp.co/dMb  Please include your FlyerTalk handle and I will be more than happy to look into it for you.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Rachel
Amex Customer Care

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 17
learnin113
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

This was posted today on Flyer Talk by an Amex Rep:

Good Morning All,

I have just found this thread and wanted to let you know that we have not received word that the Zync Card is being discontinued. We have reached out to our Technologies Team and advised them of the issues online and they are looking into why you can not access it online. If you are having issues with the Packs, please let me know via email at: http://aexp.co/dMb  Please include your FlyerTalk handle and I will be more than happy to look into it for you.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Rachel
Amex Customer Care

Appreciate this, thanks.

Message 7 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

Interesting Walt,

So they might now be discontinuing the card after all. Since this message came straight from AMEX.

Message 8 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Well and we have had several guys talking to a CSR on the phone telling us something different.

I cannot believe, that Amexco would not be aware about problems on the side and make a statement somewhere on the side about this ... and would have to find out in a Forum.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 9 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@shakalaka wrote:

Well and we have had several guys talking to a CSR on the phone telling us something different.

I cannot believe, that Amexco would not be aware about problems on the side and make a statement somewhere on the side about this ... and would have to find out in a Forum.

Whoops I'm confused, though another thread from the executive rep office suggests that it was indeed discontinued but they may not cancel the cards at all.

If it was simply a site issue for the packs, the fact we're finding out at all with any sort of public post is actually pretty open communication.  I work in a high volume, highly visible website, but if nobody really notices the outage, why publically post anything about it?  TBH it may only have been the discussion on these and a few similar forums which prompted them to post anything at all, so it's not so much of a surprise we found out here.  I've never checked the FlyerTalk page at all.

Thanks Walt for your post.

        
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.