cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex close an account due to lack of activity?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Amex close an account due to lack of activity?

So I am currently an AU on an Amex optima card from 1998. It's going to expire in 2016. No activity has been posted on this account for a few years, and the optima card has already been closed off to new applicants for a long time. I am planning to put some small charges on it to keep it active (a few bucks a month), but I am not sure if they're going to close the account if it is not active enough. I only need it to lengthen my credit history since the oldest card under my name is 7 months old. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Will Amex close an account due to lack of activity?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I am currently an AU on an Amex optima card from 1998. It's going to expire in 2016. No activity has been posted on this account for a few years, and the optima card has already been closed off to new applicants for a long time. I am planning to put some small charges on it to keep it active (a few bucks a month), but I am not sure if they're going to close the account if it is not active enough. I only need it to lengthen my credit history since the oldest card under my name is 7 months old. 

I wouldn't think that AU accounts would be closed for non-use, since the major reason for AU used to be for emergcies, the primary on the account should be sure to keep some activity on the account or at least on other AMEX cards they have. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yah, the primary user will not be using the card anymore (the card has been pretty much inactive since at least 2010). This card is pretty much going in the sock drawer for me, and I am hoping it will last until at least 2016. 

Message 3 of 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I see you have a chase saphire card, why not app for another AMEX card of your own. Or just let it drop off, Many scoring systems and manual review drop AU TL's for calculation purposes. If you qualified for a CSP your score can't be that bad anyway. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Yeah get Amex yourself to lock in your member date.  Hell get two to really help aaoa.  What is your member date?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.