Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Cap One merge multiple cards?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will Cap One merge multiple cards?

I think they got away form the 2011 policy for a few reasons though and I highly doubt they will go back unless as people stated they really want to compete with Chase and BofA etc...  The reason they probably don't merge is due to multiple cards and AF's aka more money for them and probably a bit less risk as they are still mainly sub-prime in their demographic even if you have the Venture people with sub-prime credit right out of BK are getting 10-15k limits.  Just my 2 cents on why they won't merge anytime in the future.  

Message 11 of 19
vtskier
Valued Member

For one day, July 9th I believe I was told, there was an option to merge cards (provided the card to merge had a $0 bal. when I paid off the card this week and went searching for the link and couldn't find it, I called and was told that it "was a disaster" so they have removed the option until all glitches get hammered out. I wasn't given a time frame or even a guarentee that the feature would return; but know this: it's something they are working on. Perhaps if more people would like to merge accts contacted cap one they would realize it's a good business model and be more motivated to work on the problem(s).

Message 12 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@vtskier wrote:

For one day, July 9th I believe I was told, there was an option to merge cards (provided the card to merge had a $0 bal. when I paid off the card this week and went searching for the link and couldn't find it, I called and was told that it "was a disaster" so they have removed the option until all glitches get hammered out. I wasn't given a time frame or even a guarentee that the feature would return; but know this: it's something they are working on. Perhaps if more people would like to merge accts contacted cap one they would realize it's a good business model and be more motivated to work on the problem(s).

Yep, we had it for one glorious day.  But just like Keyser Söze, "then 'poof'... just like that, [it] was gone".  Smiley Surprised

Hopefully in a few days once the glitches are worked out they'll restore it.  Like vtskier said, for the folks that were able to (try to) take advantage of it, for a few of them it didn't go very well.  Several of them report having the donor card closed, but the credit line not being added to the remaining card, which required manual intervention by Capital One. I suspect once they put the feature back online it'll work well (and be very popular...).

Message 13 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@vtskier wrote:

Yep, we had it for one glorious day.  But just like Keyser Söze, "then 'poof'... just like that, [it] was gone".  Smiley Surprised

Hopefully in a few days once the glitches are worked out they'll restore it.  Like vtskier said, for the folks that were able to (try to) take advantage of it, for a few of them it didn't go very well.  Several of them report having the donor card closed, but the credit line not being added to the remaining card, which required manual intervention by Capital One. I suspect once they put the feature back online it'll work well (and be very popular...).

A few people went way too far in taking advantage of it, besides the fact that nobody seemed to be patient and quite literally flooded the feature the second it was available. We need to take it easy when it comes back online. And those who applied for 3 new cards with them to merge down the line were, IMO asking for trouble but they'll find out sooner or later.

Message 14 of 19
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@vtskier wrote:

A few people went way too far in taking advantage of it, besides the fact that nobody seemed to be patient and quite literally flooded the feature the second it was available. We need to take it easy when it comes back online. And those who applied for 3 new cards with them to merge down the line were, IMO asking for trouble but they'll find out sooner or later.

I agree with this. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up for the people that applied for a bunch of Cap one cards that night. I would personally like to see it come back so I can acquire my first ever 5 digit card. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@vtskier wrote:

I agree with this. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up for the people that applied for a bunch of Cap one cards that night. I would personally like to see it come back so I can acquire my first ever 5 digit card. 

Well, they have nearly a year before my newly apped Venture AF kicks in, so I'm not complaining.

And this makes me laugh out loud. How quaint the idea; MyFICOers being reserved in their response to a good deal Smiley Happy

There's been a few of these Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@vtskier wrote:

I guess I should sign-in more often! My oldest card is a Capital One Secured MasterCard with a $29 annual fee. The annual fee just hit and I'm thinking about finally closing it as I haven't used it in years. Should I close it within the next week or should I wait for the merge cards option to reappear online? 

Does anybody reasonably expect the merge cards option to reappear online? Thanks! 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 17 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@WLRK11 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@vtskier wrote:

I guess I should sign-in more often! My oldest card is a Capital One Secured MasterCard with a $29 annual fee. The annual fee just hit and I'm thinking about finally closing it as I haven't used it in years. Should I close it within the next week or should I wait for the merge cards option to reappear online? 

Does anybody reasonably expect the merge cards option to reappear online? Thanks! 

If you check the back of your statement, it gives the parameters for closing the account without being assessed the annual fee.  I think you have 45 days from the end of the period covered by the statement on which it appears, or some lingo like that.  Regardless of the specifics, you have some time.  I'm actually in a similar situation, and I plan on giving it at least a few weeks to see what's going to happen.

Just my 2¢  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Locking the thread and directing discussion to the large thread on this 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Credit-Line-Consolidation/td-p/4113430

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.