Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Capital One Forgive me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Capital One Forgive me?

Yes, yes, yes!

Capital One is the only credit card company I have ever burned.  It was 1998 just after graduation from college.  $1,500 card, owed about $900.  Stopped paying.  Never settled.  Didn't think they would ever let me back in and never applied again.

Here in 2017 I have a $10,000 Venture One card.  Didn't start at the bottom with a Quicksilver or secured card either.

That durn Portfolio Recovery company still SP's me to this day over that card just trying to get their name on my credit report.

Message 11 of 21
sjt
Senior Contributor

Capital One is very forgiving. In their disclosure statement they state you have to wait one-year if you had a charge off with them. In your case you paid them off so your good to go.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I submitted my docs fingers crossed for approval!
Message 13 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, not sure any company truely forgets, but forgives sure. Cap One seems to , as Joltdude puts, suffer from short term memory lossSmiley Happy ....or is that long term? Smiley Wink

Good enough for most folks

Ancedotal datapoint.. Aquaintence was CO'ed.. Paid the collection off... in fulll.. two months later was getting preapprovals and got approved for 2 cards..and this was in less than a year after the CO.... So yes... you shouldn't have a problem...

Message 14 of 21
iced
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Yes. cap one easily forgives... Capone is a bit forgetful of the past and has a short term memory =)

Like with all things, nothing is absolute. Cap One locked my cards and account 5 years ago when one card went 120+ days late. I quickly paid all of the balances but was told by a rep to not bother applying for any of their cards as my account had been flagged. As of about 18 months ago they were still giving me the cold shoulder. To be fair, they may approve an application now but I have no reason to try again.

Your chances are good, but Cap One can and does hold grudges when it wants to.

Message 15 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Yes. cap one easily forgives... Capone is a bit forgetful of the past and has a short term memory =)

Like with all things, nothing is absolute. Cap One locked my cards and account 5 years ago when one card went 120+ days late. I quickly paid all of the balances but was told by a rep to not bother applying for any of their cards as my account had been flagged. As of about 18 months ago they were still giving me the cold shoulder. To be fair, they may approve an application now but I have no reason to try again.

Iced have you tried Cap One's prequalifier relatively recently? I'm curious to see if it offers you anything... 

Do not have to follow through with an app.. Typical SP prequalify online...

Also take a glance at the offered APR if you decide to try this. 

Not that youd want one, but would be interesting to know if your at least partly off their naughty list

-J

Message 16 of 21
iced
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@iced wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Iced have you tried Cap One's prequalifier relatively recently? I'm curious to see if it offers you anything... 

Not that youd want one, but would be interesting to know if your at least partly off their naughty list

-J

I just ran a pre-qualify check for you and it came back that I might like the QS. I'm not sure the pre-qual is aware of any account flags or if it's just running a credit score check, though.

Message 17 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

@iced wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

-J

I just ran a pre-qualify check for you and it came back that I might like the QS. I'm not sure the pre-qual is aware of any account flags or if it's just running a credit score check, though.

Hmm.. ill have to ask around a bit to confirm some things but thats why i said partially off the naughy list.. With that associate that applied and got denied it came back with either no offers or just the secured platinum (this was a couple years ago) .. but then a month or two after it was paid off it came back with a QSOne offer and Plat which he took... I was the one who got him to try for a PFD on his prev Cap One card ..  Appreciate it...

-J

Message 18 of 21
padme
Established Contributor

They gave me 4 venture cards 2 years post burnt in BK7
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One approved me! 200 secured 99 down! Woooo hooo
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.