cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Discover Allow Two Cards (IT and MILES)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

f yRe: Will Discover Allow Two Cards (IT and MILES)?

Just a heads up for some people; if you have the student card, you can only have 1 card with discover until it graduates. You are also ineligible for a CLI on a student discover card for 6 months after having the card.

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: f yRe: Will Discover Allow Two Cards (IT and MILES)?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a heads up for some people; if you have the student card, you can only have 1 card with discover until it graduates. You are also ineligible for a CLI on a student discover card for 6 months after having the card.

Is this some sort of a new policy? When I had my student card, I received one CLI every 3 months in the first year, starting from the 3rd month.

Message 22 of 29
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Will Discover Allow Two Cards (IT and MILES)?

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover employee here -- You may have both accounts.  There's no time limit on how soon you can apply for another.  At this time, you cannot merge a standard it into a Miles it BUT that capability is coming soon (probably by end of summer.)

Can 2 standard Discover it be combined?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double Discover card holder here

As others have mentioned, and as I have posted in other threads, I have both the Discover IT and Discover Miles

Discover IT: 9.5k, Opened in Q2 2012

-Applied for Discover Miles in April 2015

-After app, received notification to call Discover

-Was asked to Split my Discover IT Limit however I saw fit between the two new cards

-Allocated 5.5K to Miles, 4K to Discover IT

-Received Discover Miles Card in the mail several days later (With a scratch! Smiley Sad)

I did have to create two accounts for online account management which is fine, not ideal but I understand the backend repercussions of making their interface support two cards. Time and Money!

Looking forward to using the 3% for the first year as my General spend card, then switching back to the Citi DC....

Happy to have Discover as a general spend card again, the customer service is top notch and they were the first major CC to give me Credit.

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you applied for discover it miles, was there a HP?
It would be lame if they HP'd you and did not extend any more credit, in which case you paid a HP for consolidating credit lines basically.
Message 25 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It would be lame if they HP'd you and did not extend any more credit, in which case you paid a HP for consolidating credit lines basically.

I don't think that would be so unusual, after all you get HPd when you are denied (in most cases) with no more credit.  So they could do an HP to decide if to extend credit, and decide not to but be willing to move credit around.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, Yes, there was a Hard-Pull when I applied for the Discover Miles.

I had planned on this with Discover being rather conservative in the past, and the value was still worth it to me because I have relativley few Inquiries accross my credit profile. It is worth mentioning that my original limit in 2012 with my Discover IT was 2K, and over the years I've been able to SP my way up to 9K with the Luv button. I never really utilized the 9K on the IT either, because I only use it for the 5% rotating categories. 

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that would be so unusual, after all you get HPd when you are denied (in most cases) with no more credit.  So they could do an HP to decide if to extend credit, and decide not to but be willing to move credit around.

It's not unusual for the general population to get denied, but everyone here at myfico hates to see a HP wasted I assume. I try to make every HP count and make sure I am going to get more credit once trigger is pulled.

My only wasted HP in the past 1.5 years is Penfed, among 13 total.

Message 28 of 29
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Ok...although having more than one Discover is possible, you will not get an instant approval on the subsequent cards, and you're more than likely gonna have to move limits in order to open them?

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.