Did you mean: 

Will I Be Approved for an AMEX?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Will I Be Approved for an AMEX?

@CalAlumnus13 wrote:

Thanks.

What's the best app strategy? Should I apply for the PRG, and then try for the HHonors on the same day if approved? Or just go straight to the HHonors?

Anecdotally being said in other AMEX threads, charge cards are easier to be approved for...and have the same underwriting requirements.  So yes, if you would like to add 2 cards w/ AMEX, try the PRG first and if approved, go app for a revolver for the best chance of being 1HP for 2 apps.  I honestly think you'll be okay at 20% overall util, but it is best if you play it safe until your CR is updated.  Best of luck!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 11 of 17
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@CalAlumnus13 wrote:

Thanks.

What's the best app strategy? Should I apply for the PRG, and then try for the HHonors on the same day if approved? Or just go straight to the HHonors?

Anecdotally being said in other AMEX threads, charge cards are easier to be approved for...and have the same underwriting requirements.  So yes, if you would like to add 2 cards w/ AMEX, try the PRG first and if approved, go app for a revolver for the best chance of being 1HP for 2 apps.  I honestly think you'll be okay at 20% overall util, but it is best if you play it safe until your CR is updated.  Best of luck!

If I apply now and am denied, would I have grounds for a successful recon based on the CR not having the current balances? I know AMEX usually doesn't reverse decisions via recon except in cases of "errors" on a CR.

The reason I ask is, based on statement close dates, my CR won't be updated with the current balances in time for me to receive the HHonors card before my Hilton stay later this month. If it weren't for that stay, I'd just wait.

FICOs: EX (per Amex, 1/20/18): 830 | TU (per Discover, 1/20/18): 817

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Drawer: Hella More
Message 12 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@CalAlumnus13 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@CalAlumnus13 wrote:

Thanks.

If I apply now and am denied, would I have grounds for a successful recon based on the CR not having the current balances? I know AMEX usually doesn't reverse decisions via recon except in cases of "errors" on a CR.

The reason I ask is, based on statement close dates, my CR won't be updated with the current balances in time for me to receive the HHonors card before my Hilton stay later this month. If it weren't for that stay, I'd just wait.

No.  The CRs are not erroneousme they reflect your current balances when the statements were cut.  

If you app now and are denied, you'd have to wait 30 days. 

If you cannot wait and don't mind the hp, I agree with yudeology -your chances are good with 20%

Message 13 of 17
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

No.  The CRs are not erroneousme they reflect your current balances when the statements were cut.  

If you app now and are denied, you'd have to wait 30 days. 

If you cannot wait and don't mind the hp, I agree with yudeology -your chances are good with 20%

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I'll wait until the new balances appear.

This is a bit off-topic, but I wonder if I ought to also apply for some cards from other issuers when I apply for the PRG and HHonors? I don't see any other clear holes in my portfolio, but I don't want to miss an opportunity either. 

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Message 14 of 17
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Many banks will make a mid-cycle report to the CRAs if you just ask. I've done that.

Others say that sometimes you can trigger a mid-cycle report by changing your address on a cc account. You don't have to change it dramatically. Changing Street to ST could do it. Or even just retyping the same address and hitting submit. I haven't personally tried this and don't know which banks it might work with.

Message 15 of 17
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Many banks will make a mid-cycle report to the CRAs if you just ask. I've done that.

Others say that sometimes you can trigger a mid-cycle report by changing your address on a cc account. You don't have to change it dramatically. Changing Street to ST could do it. Or even just retyping the same address and hitting submit. I haven't personally tried this and don't know which banks it might work with.

Good to know. I'll give this a shot.

Message 16 of 17
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

My dad applied for hilton and got instantly approved he applied for PRG 1 week later was approved instantly as well, seems like once you have a revolver the charge card is most likely to get approved. What you think Yude?

Ha, just read this!  I'm with you Bears!!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.