Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I Be OK Closing Chase?

tag
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Will I Be OK Closing Chase?

Had 2 Credit cards with them, Slate $250 limit and Wamu converted $300 limit.  No rewards, but no AF's, 27.24% on the Slate and 18.24% on the Wamu.  Just got approved $5K Freedom and $6,200 CSP.  I don't really want the old cards anymore, but thinking cards I've had since 2006, 2007 with Chase might have helped me get the approvals in the first place.

Is there any harm in closing these?  Better to keep open?  I hate seeing 4 cards (plus my checking and savings) listed down when I log in to online banking.  I will never use these when I have 2 high limit cards with rewards AND lower rates.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Will I Be OK Closing Chase?

If they have no AF then I would just sock drawer them. Closing them will not affect your AAoA since they stay on for 10 years, but there really is no point in closing if you aren't losing anything. The only scenario I could see is if you wanted more chase cards and you were at your max. 

Message 2 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This is the normal difference of viewpoint:

1) keep them if they do no harm (e.g. AF)

vs

2) close them if they do no good.  

I'm on the latter side, no need to clutter your portfolio with low CL high APR cards you will never use, but the other view has some merit (it is merely wrong!)

Message 3 of 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Might as well keep, SD them, and then one day when you have no HPs and can spare one why not use it on one of them one day to get that limit higher and whenever you do close it you just transfer the CL? Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Might as well keep, SD them, and then one day when you have no HPs and can spare one why not use it on one of them one day to get that limit higher and whenever you do close it you just transfer the CL? Smiley Wink

OP is talking about $250 and $300 CLs and has just got approved with two $5K+ cards.  So even if the $250 got a x10 CLI one day, it still wouldn't really matter.

To me, some things are worth letting go!  Would you keep a card with a $1 CL?

Message 5 of 17
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

See if they can be converted to freedom card

like others said if it has no AF then SD it and make tiny purchases every now and then

closing it or keeping it open is basically up to your decision *also note if you close your card it will show good standing up to 10 years on your credit report and by then all other cards that's already opened will be 10 years older*

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 6 of 17
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Like everyone, sd them Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 7 of 17
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Looks like most people have come to the same conclusion. Still, OP needs to do what they think is best for them. 

Message 8 of 17
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

Looks like most people have come to the same conclusion. Still, OP needs to do what they think is best for them. 

STAND DOWN MY FRIEND, i said it first *closing or keeping it open is up to your decision*
and don't buy that Infinity Smiley Very Happy

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 9 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'd see if you could combine the limits to your new Freedom making it $5500- then close both of them n
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.