cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I Get Approved for WalMart??

tag
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: So do I apply for the regular walmart or the discover?

Since you only have one CC I personally would apply for the Discover Student Card, and leave Wal-Mart and Barclays alone until you get some better limits.  Barclays seems to be accept a lot of people but they also like to match limits.  So if all you have is a $300 secured card you can expect a tiny limit from Barclays if anything at all.  With the secured card only being 2 months old Barclays might just deny you on principle.  I think that you would get approved for the Walmart card, but wouldn't you rather wait 6 months and qualify for something better.  Like maybe a Freedom card?  Just becuase you CAN qualify for a card right now doesn't meant that you SHOULD apply.  Ultimately the decision is yours, but you have to ask yourself do you NEED a new card right now.  If not maybe gardening is the best option.  But if you determine that you do NEED a card, try Discover IMO

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 11 of 65
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

EX is only that low because I havent paid for new report. So i dont actually know what it is today.  I've only had the BofA for 2 months now. :-( ---- wanting to either apply for wally or barclays but not sure which i should TRY to snag....what do you think?

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 12 of 65
myjourney
Super Contributor

@JamesKnox wrote:

EX is only that low because I havent paid for new report. So i dont actually know what it is today.  I've only had the BofA for 2 months now. :-( ---- wanting to either apply for wally or barclays but not sure which i should TRY to snag....what do you think?

Final question from me have you looked at you reports lately if so how many months has you card reported 1 or 2? 

Remember with such a new card lenders won't see a lot of history if its' only reporting 1 or 2 months 

Wally card should be within reach and the free score is a plus

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 65
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

@simi so you suggest apping for Discover IT student as opposed to waiting for full discover it? 

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 14 of 65
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Its reported 2 myjourney...

what do you think of simi's advice?

Message 15 of 65
myjourney
Super Contributor

@JamesKnox wrote:

Its reported 2 myjourney...

what do you think of simi's advice?

As long as your still a student excellent advice I agree student cards are easier to get and I also agree if approved forget about wally and Barclay for 6 months 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 65
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

but you cant update from student to full card right? i kinda want the it byt the full version but i guess its really no difference except my cl would prob be lower on student version right?

the reason i was interested in apping for barclays or wally was because they pull trans and none of the other cards I wanted pulled trans so wouldn't have to worry about that inquiry. 

Message 17 of 65
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@JamesKnox wrote:

@Anonymous so you suggest apping for Discover IT student as opposed to waiting for full discover it? 

I am not too sure about the conversion from the Student version to the Discover IT, but I have read that some gotten the PC.  IMO if I were you I would be working now towards getting in with a top tier company.  Getting in with Discover now would greatly help in the future.  If you do get in with Discover now then in 6 months to 1 year down the road of gardening and taking care of your bills you will easily qualify for just about anything, with the exception of probably signatures and world cards that require the $5k limit.  But if you choose walmart and only get the store card there are a lot of companies that will not even factor store accounts into their decision, and if they do they are always looked on as less than an actual credit card.  The decision is yours, but make it wisely.  You should not have a problem getting a Wally or the Barclay Rewards or the Discover IT for Students right now.  So pick the one you want the most and app.

Message 18 of 65
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Will I Get Approved for WalMart??

Walmart will be easier to qualify for imo. Discover, regardless of recent IT approvals, is harder to get and will require a longer credit history.
It'd be a mistake imo to app for a regular Discover card.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 19 of 65
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will I Get Approved for WalMart??

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Walmart will be easier to qualify for imo. Discover, regardless of recent IT approvals, is harder to get and will require a longer credit history.
It'd be a mistake imo to app for a regular Discover card.

Absolutely....DO NOT APPLY FOR THE DISCOVER IT, IF YOU APPLY FOR DISCOVER MAKE SURE IT IS THE STUDENT CARD.  Unless you want to waste an inquiry, or two.

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.