Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be Approved for Another AMEX?

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Will I be Approved for Another AMEX?

I just submitted my 61 day CLI for my BCP, requesting $2,000 --> $6,000.  I was declined ..."Your American Express account indicates previous delinquencies".  I had a CO about 12-14 years ago, with accrued interest the total was around $2,000.

I was planning on apping for an AMEX Plat in March.  My employer generally expects all employees that travel have one.   What are my chances I will be approved?

Also, when, if ever, will I be given a CLI on the existing BCP?

Info on me:

FICO: EX: 705 (9/4 Amex pull) TU: 687 (10/9 Barclay)

Fakos:  Ex: 653 TU: 697 EQ: 736

AAoA: 4.5 yr 

Util: 28%

Cap1: $2500 CLI  opened 3/11

Barclay: $5000 CLI  opened 9/13

Amex: $2000 CLI opened 9/13 (backdated to 95)

Chase Marriott: $6000 CLI opened 9/13

CSP: $5000 CLI opened 9/13

Mortgage: opened 8/12

Auto Loan: opened 1/12

Auto Loan: paid/closed - opened 1/04 ( 7-30 days late, 3-60 days late) (only baddie)

INQ: Ex: 14 TU: 10 EQ: 8

All inquires except the 4 recent cards are over 1 yr old and auto or home buying related

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Will I be Approved for Another AMEX?

Bump!

Message 2 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Scores?

INQ's?

You do have 4 new accounts in less than 2 months ....not good 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 15
Capya
New Contributor

I got 2 amex cards this year with CL's of 12,500 and 15,000.   I was denied for my 61 day CLI.

I really wanted the BCP instead of the BCE I currently have, so I applied recently, got the 7-10 day message, and was eventually approved with a low limit of 2K.

So.... maybe.  I think they probably make so much money off the platinum annual fee that they'll go ahead and give you one, even if they denied you a CLI.

I'd try and goodwill the late payments off your old auto loan, and if that doesn't work, dispute the tradeline and try to get it removed entirely from your reports.

good luck!

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you are delaying your app to after Jan, your new accounts will be at least 6 mos. if you are worried about the denial due to the past delinquency - UW for charge cards are easier and since it only came up on your Cli I don't see any problems.

I wonder if you will eventually have to deal with that bal if you want a Cli in the future
Message 5 of 15
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Scores?

INQ's?

Here you go ...

Info on me:

All inquires except the 4 recent cards are over 1 yr old and auto or home buying related 

18 of the inquiries will fall off prior to the Plat app

But the reason for denial had nothing to do with the new TL's, inq or score ... only quoted the "previous delinquencies".  So I'm mostly concerned about the past Amex CO keeping me from getting the Plat.  As I won't be applying until March (my Skyclub membership expires then), and I'll have 6 months on the new accounts by then.  I'm just thinking if they won't increase a CL, will they give me a whole new card?

Message 6 of 15
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Capya wrote:

I got 2 amex cards this year with CL's of 12,500 and 15,000.   I was denied for my 61 day CLI.

I really wanted the BCP instead of the BCE I currently have, so I applied recently, got the 7-10 day message, and was eventually approved with a low limit of 2K.

So.... maybe.  I think they probably make so much money off the platinum annual fee that they'll go ahead and give you one, even if they denied you a CLI.

I'd try and goodwill the late payments off your old auto loan, and if that doesn't work, dispute the tradeline and try to get it removed entirely from your reports.

good luck!

Did you have a previous Amex CO?  

Thanks for the encouragement!  

Message 7 of 15
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
If you are delaying your app to after Jan, your new accounts will be at least 6 mos. if you are worried about the denial due to the past delinquency - UW for charge cards are easier and since it only came up on your Cli I don't see any problems.

I wonder if you will eventually have to deal with that bal if you want a Cli in the future

Thanks Lexie ... I really hope so!  I was surprised I got the BCP at all, figured I was blacklisted.

Getting a CLI is really secondary to getting approved for a Plat.  The $2,000 CL is fine, it's a grocery/gift card/gas card, so although a CLI would be nice, it's not needed.  But if I don't get the Plat card and renew my Skyclub membership instead, my boss will definitely be asking why.

Message 8 of 15
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Thanks Lexie ... I really hope so!  I was surprised I got the BCP at all, figured I was blacklisted.

Getting a CLI is really secondary to getting approved for a Plat.  The $2,000 CL is fine, it's a grocery/gift card/gas card, so although a CLI would be nice, it's not needed.  But if I don't get the Plat card and renew my Skyclub membership instead, my boss will definitely be asking why.

If you have the money available and your employer expects their employees to have a Amex why don't you think about addressing the balance.  If you are traveling a lot are you using the Plat for the lounge access?  Are you expected to get the plat.  because the PRG is 3x for flights booked with airlines.  Just thinking of you maximizing your MR points but that is up to you to decide which card works best for your lifestyle.

Message 9 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Scores?

INQ's?

Here you go ...

Info on me:

18 of the inquiries will fall off prior to the Plat app

But the reason for denial had nothing to do with the new TL's, inq or score ... only quoted the "previous delinquencies".  So I'm mostly concerned about the past Amex CO keeping me from getting the Plat.  As I won't be applying until March (my Skyclub membership expires then), and I'll have 6 months on the new accounts by then.  I'm just thinking if they won't increase a CL, will they give me a whole new card?

Wait until the INQ's are gone for best results 

Good luck should you appSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.