cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be able to get more credit with all the inquires I have?

tag
newdaddy113
Regular Contributor

Will I be able to get more credit with all the inquires I have?

I started building my credit profile 18 months ago. In that time period I have accumulated 36 inquires. These inquires came about from buying 2 cars, renting an apartment, getting a cell phone, opening of credit unions accounts (Navy,penfed, tower) and applying for credit.  Of the 36, 24 of the inquires are over 1 year old. By Janaury 2015 another 8 more will be over 1 year old. So I will have 4 inquires that will be active. Reading from this forum I saw someone suggest that inquires do not affect your credit score after 1 year. Is that true? Secondly when should I apply for more credit? My aaoa is 1.5years and credit profile is below. Thank you

Amex Green Card (NPSL) 03/13 - BOA ($7200) 03/13 - WELLS FARGO ($500) 03/13 - DISCOVER IT ($5800) 12/13 Amex delta gold ($18,400) 1/1/14. Amex Gold Business Card (NPSL) 1/2/14. Chase Freedom($7900) 1/9/14 NavyFederal ($25000) 1/16/14 Best Buy ($1000) 8/4/14 Barclays Arrival Plus($12500) 1/29/16 Chase CSP($20000) 1/29/16 Penfed Platinum Rewards ($16000) 1/29/16 NavyFed goRewards ($5000) 1/29/16.
Credit Score EX- 760 EQ- 735 TU- 763 Oldest account 3.2yrs aaoa 2.2 yrs.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will I be able to get more credit with all the inquires I have?

While its generally true that inquiries stop affecting your score after 1 year, lenders can still see them on your report. I'd only apply for more credit if you absolutely needed it.

Message 2 of 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

For now I would just hit the garden, that is a lot of inquiries. You said you started building 18 months ago, so once you hit the 24 month mark (2 years) your original inquiries will be off the reports entirely. 

Also, any inquiries for an auto loan done in a 1 month period (SHOULD) only count as one inquiry, since I guess everyone knows auto loan shopping can be hell on your credit reports. 

Message 3 of 4
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I think you have plenty of cards to get started.  I would hold off for two years to let everything clear and build your AAoA.

You may have a total of 36 INQs, but they are probably spread across multiple CRAs.  When a CCC pulls your report they will only see the INQs from that CRA.  Some lenders (e.g. Cap1) pull all three CRAs, but that is rare.  For those that pull multiple CRA's you will have a HP/INQ on each CRA they pull.

The small ding each HP cost you only effect your CS from that CRA for 12 months.  Moreover, auto loan pulls within 14 days may be grouped together as one INQ for CS purposes if they are coded correctly.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.