cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be approved for a balance transfer card?

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Will I be approved for a balance transfer card?

I understand it probably depends on which card issuer you apply for, but what score is needed to do balance transfers? My 0% on my capital one cards is expiring and 1 card has just reported at almost max balance. ($500) It is my second lowest limit card. My overall utl is only at 16% but I am concerned because the 1 card is near it's limit. I want to transfer my balance to a new card soon but I know my scores are about to drop because of the reported balance. 

Now 2/4 cards are reporting a balance. The other 2 are at 0. I know my TU is now a 691. :/

My last and only baddie left on my report is a late payment from 18 months ago. About 5-6 inquiries in 12 months, and my last one was in Oct (7 months ago)

My total limit is $5200. 

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Will I be approved for a balance transfer card?

Have you apped with Barclays before? With that CS you should be able to get Barclays NFL card, it has a 0% balance transfer rate for 15 months for BTs made within 45 days of opening the account. The BT fee is 3%, but the card also comes with a spend bonus of $100 to offset that - you get $100 in rewards for charging $500+ in the first 90 days ('charges' as in purchases, not BTs).

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no score needed to do a balance transfer.  You need a good score to get approval however.  Have you looked at the Chase Slate?  Citi also has a couple of cards goods for balance transfers also.  Then there is Barclays and many more...

If that is your current EX score, I'd give Chase and Citi a shot as Barclays always pulls TU exclusively..

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck ! 

Message 4 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

My ex & eq dropped to 630/644. I was going to app for discover bc the site prequalified me but now I'm not sure since my score is lower. 

I apped Barclay's rewards back in Oct with a denial, but I had 3 collections removed since then and lower utl. 

I close on my house 5/28 so I will be apping 5/29. 

Or I might try to PIF the $500 card and carry that balance on my $2300 limit and let that report 0. Would my score be better then? 

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

id apply for a venture one

Message 6 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Well, you can't transfer balances between capital one cards. But yes, that one's on the list

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Standard wisdom says Discover prequal is hogwash anyway. Random name, random SSN: discover it.
Message 8 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Well, I've never had citi or chase come back with a prequalified offer for me so I'm starting to think none of the cards I want to apply for will accept my application :/

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.