cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get approved for these cards?

tag
xprodigy92

Will I get approved for these cards?

I want the chase sapphire preferred, marriott rewards through chase, US Bank Cash +, Penfed Visa Signature, Visa Black Card.

I know off the bat the penfed is a no, at least not any time soon. The Black Card I would imagine is also a no.

My fico score is currently dipped down to a 684. This is due to 13 inquiries and an average age of account of 9 months. My oldest is 3.5 year and my newest is 3 months.

Current cards in order I received them:

Citi dividend student: 600 CL increased to 1300 CL received April 2013

Macy's Card: 300 CL received April 2013

Kohl's Card: 300 CL received April 2013

AMEX blue cash (no ann fee one) CL 1000 received Sept 2013 

Discover IT CL 2000 increased to 3500. Received Oct 2013

Citi Diamond Preferred 1000 CL Received Nov 2013

Capitalone Ventureone Rewards: 3000 CL increased to 5500. Received Nov 2013

Citi Thankyou Preferred: 2000 CL received Nov 2013

Chase Freedom: 500 CL received Nov 2013

Chase Sapphire (reg): 5000 CL received Dec 2013

Best Buy Card: 2000 CL received Dec 2013.

Student Loan at 27000 from 4 years ago, will pay off in full this May/June when I graduate (I'm 21).

My income is  ~$550,000 per year. That should be indicative as to why I want the cards I listed.

Basically, do I have any shot at any of these cards (I expect not) and what can I do to get on the path to get these cards and how long will it take?

Any general advice either?

Never missed a payment. Never maxed out a card. Never bounced a payment. Credit Utilization is ~6-10% depending on the month. I don't pay interest either because my balances are paid in full.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will I get approved for these cards?

All your revolvers are new in the eyes of FICO and lenders. FICO considers them new for 24 months. You are just coming up on 1 year for your first few, what I would do is wait for most of these to be at 1 yr before trying to get the card(s) you are after, lack of revolving history along with inquiries will be your achilles heel here. The inquires will not affect your score once they become 1 year old. Good luck to you Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

You are 21 and making a little less then my father, i love you. Mind me asking what you do for a living? Might change my major....

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@xprodigy92 wrote:

I want the chase sapphire preferred, marriott rewards through chase, US Bank Cash +, Penfed Visa Signature, Visa Black Card.

My income is  ~$550,000 per year. That should be indicative as to why I want the cards I listed.

Well, actually it doesn't!    None of those cards are especially suited to high earners, and almost no-one here would consider the Visa Black card a good choice for anyone.

US Cash Plus reaches its maximum rewards on $8K spend a year.  Penfed Visa Signature (the Rewards cards) gives under 5% on gas and under 3% on supermarkets.    While spending on CSP is uncapped, there are no special rewards for high spending.  Don't know about Marriott.

There are a number of cards which do reward high spending, such as Palladium, cards like the Amex PRG etc.

Message 4 of 8
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Visa Black Card is a joke. Don't bother with it.

Message 5 of 8
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

PenFed - I doubt you'd be approved with 13 INQs and less than a year AAoA. They're extremely picky.

Black Card - You'd probably get approved, but the card sucks. I'd recommend the AmEx PRG to maximize high spend. Lurker suggested the Palladium, which is also a good option.

Chase Marriott - I think you have a good chance with this. If you can get a Sapphire, you can probably take your pick at any cobranded card.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - I don't know if Chase would be willing to approve two (presumably) higher CL accounts so closely together. You may want to see if you can apply and allocate the CL from the Sapphire to the CSP. I don't know if they will go for it, but it is worth a shot if you really want it. I don't know if you will get the sign up bonus or not.

Message 6 of 8
xprodigy92

I have a degree in chemistry and a minor in math. I am a few classes short of a major in both physics, biology, engineering science, math, and sociology. (due to overlap in requirements) In the interest of time though, I need to graduate. I basically took a combination of extremely difficult science classes and a lot of liberal arts. My typical course load was 23 credits per semester. I also worked the past 3 years, did research, published, presented, etc. My course work was useful because it allowed me to think analytically and I learned how to speak and write well. 

I ran my own tutoring business starting from sophomore year and I invested my money very well. I tutored in subjects that were difficult such as chemistry, physics, and math. I had clientele from very affluent areas. I typically worked three jobs at once. Last year, I hit it big in terms of clientele and investments. Some of my mutual funds accumulated 35% interest and I pulled out at just the right moment. So to answer your question, it was a combination of creating opportunities through education and making the most out of them via luck. In all fairness, I must mention I had a lot of guidance from a lot of people that handle millions/billions of dollars on a regular basis. 

Message 7 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your success! Agree with others, PenFed will deny for just 1 inq, Black Card is a turd (but if you really want it you'd probably get approved), US Bank Cash+ is good but their approval process is mind numbing.

Have you looked at Fidelity Amex or Merrill Lynch? Both are backed by FIA/Bank of America.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.