Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I qualify for Delta Gold Card?

tag
sekada
Regular Contributor

Will I qualify for Delta Gold Card?

My credit has improved but I still have old stuff hanging out, plus I have 5 credit cards open (total credit limit of around $11k, completely paid off/no carried balance for 4 months). My FICO score is 687 but I think that should go up in the next day or so due to another month of no credit util.

Income is near $100k... debt-income ratio around 20%-25%. I would close down one of my small $500/limit cc's but I'm afraid because those are my oldest ones it would reduce the average age of my credit history, which is already only 9 years.

I have a medical collection for $64 which I'm disputing, a tax lien from 2005 that's paid but still on there, and 1 each 30-day-late car and CC pmt from 2002.

Do I have a chance at an approval?  I don't want to ding my credit unnecessarily but they're offering me 40k miles plus I need to buy 2 tickets to Cali this week, and could then get double miles on that purchase... and free bags of course. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Will I qualify for Delta Gold Card?

You have a chance. But the unpaid collection and lien stick out to me. If the collection were paid you would probably be approved but that may limit your ability to challenge the CA.

Good luck.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
sekada
Regular Contributor

I just pulled my Experian score since that's what AmEx checks, right? And they have me at 700,...

Message 3 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming your tradelines are more than a year old it's a good shot; however, having anything in dispute is squirrely honestly.

Tax lien if paid is probably irrelevant that old. Though if it was a federal one I'd go get that cleaned up as is now possible.

        
Message 4 of 12
sekada
Regular Contributor

Right, my youngest CC is 7 or 8 years old.  The lien was federal and has been released... still shows on report though. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@sekada wrote:

My credit has improved but I still have old stuff hanging out, plus I have 5 credit cards open (total credit limit of around $11k, completely paid off/no carried balance for 4 months). My FICO score is 687 but I think that should go up in the next day or so due to another month of no credit util.

Income is near $100k... debt-income ratio around 20%-25%. I would close down one of my small $500/limit cc's but I'm afraid because those are my oldest ones it would reduce the average age of my credit history, which is already only 9 years.

I have a medical collection for $64 which I'm disputing, a tax lien from 2005 that's paid but still on there, and 1 each 30-day-late car and CC pmt from 2002.

Do I have a chance at an approval?  I don't want to ding my credit unnecessarily but they're offering me 40k miles plus I need to buy 2 tickets to Cali this week, and could then get double miles on that purchase... and free bags of course. Smiley Happy

IMO yes, go for it!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 12
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@sekada wrote:

Right, my youngest CC is 7 or 8 years old.  The lien was federal and has been released... still shows on report though. Smiley Sad

Federal tax liens can stay on your credit reports for up to 10 years, even if they have been paid.  Since you have paid yours and it has been released, what you need to do is to do a search for form 688 (Y), which is an IRS form to request that the liens be withdrawn since they were paid.  You will also have to do a search for the Advisory Group address to send it to since they have several offices (I live in SC and had to send mine to NC).  If you include the addresses of the credit reporting agencies (or anyone you want to have notified that the lien has been withdrawn), they will send the paperwork to those addresses, as well as a copy to you.  This is stated on the form.   If you don't include any addresses, you can make copies of the withdraw notice they send you and mail them yourself.  The IRS requires 45 days for processing and mine took took about that long.  My federal tax lien (fled in 2009 and paid in 2011) was removed from all three CRAs about 2 weeks later.  This is something that the IRS does by request only.  If it is not requested, the liens will stay on your credit reports.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 7 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Was that the Experian Plus score? Be careful as that is not a true FICO. About two years ago, I got denied by Amex due to "loan amounts to balances too high", which in my view means they weighted my deferred student loans quite heavily. So remember if you have student loans, they will
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

count.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Also, someone got approved the other day with a FICO of 658.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.